or Connect

Posts by mauricemcfadden

For the IQ test, it was the WISC IV.  They also did a Peabody Achievement test, the tests were administered by a psychologist who does testing for a local school.   For the eye exam, we went to our normal optometrist.   Yes, he does have issues with fine and gross motor and has been in OT for a over a year.  His printing isn't good and he still frequently mixes up "b" and "d" and even often reads "p" for "q" and writes "p" for "9".  He also really hasn't gotten...
  We have had his vision and hearing both tested in the past month.  We wanted to be sure to rule those out.   We have no real reason to think that he has a learning disability, other than he is getting below average grades at school.  Anyone else have a gifted child just plain old not doing well in school or is this more than likely a learning disability?  He tries.  He just has a hard time. 
There is a 26 point difference between his verbal/nonverbal scores.  We had suspected a learning disability too, which is why we had him tested in the first place.  We took his scores to his school, private, so that they would give us a referral to the public school for testing.  But, his school doesn't think he has a learning disability.      
  We suspected that our son was gifted before he started school and so were very surprised when he started kindergarten and his teacher said he was "struggling" with the work.  We chalked it up to it being his first school experience and that first grade would be better.  It hasn't been.  His teacher said his school performance is "poor".  Neither teacher has really mentioned that he seemed unusually bright to them.   Well, we had him tested and he is verbally...
  You guys are just the best!!  I am slowly working through all the information that you guys are sending my way.  I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I need to learn to navigate through all of this and really appreciate the help.  It feels great though to feel like progress is being made on finding out what is going on with him.  The IQ stuff answered thousands of questions for us, but caused a million new ones to pop up :)    
The psychologist only did an IQ test, It was not a complete eval.  Yesterday, we contacted my son's school and requested an eval, which are done through the public school system.  Not sure how long after requesting that it actually happens, but hope it is soon.   Thanks for all of your help on this, guys!  It has been so reassuring to me to read your responses and other threads here.  Some of them have really resonated with me, especially the range of emotions that I...
The tester is a psychologist.  He gave me no real analysis of the results.  The test was the WISC IV. 
To give a bit of an update.  Not sure if we made the right first step or not, but we had him tested, IQ and performace assessment which we were told would help highlight if there was a learning disability.  The results showed that he scored very high in the verbal section of the IQ testing, above the 99th percentile (which I didn't even know was possible, I though 99 was it) in two subsections.  His nonverbal IQ wasn't nearly as high, it was noted as a "significant...
  Thanks for the reply.  I know that that is what evaluations are for, but not every kid is evaluated.  We don't have all the money in the world and I don't want to make the boy be tested if the only issue is that he has a nervous, first time mother.  I don't want to make him think that we think that there might be something wrong with him, especially if there isn't.
  I am unsure if the "issues" we are having with my son are evaluation worthy, or just some ordinary kid stuff.   We thought everything was great, really, until he started kindergarten.  He is a bright kid and loved to be read to.  At 3 1/2 we were reading him the Little House series.  He loved non-fiction.  He went through a train phase, then dinosaurs, then rockets.  For around a year he was totally into rockets and spoke of little else.  He knew a ton about each...