or Connect

Posts by SummumBonum

I have a 10-year-old who still has not had chicken pox (CP).  I am starting to worry.  Is there some magic age by which they "should" have CP before we should start to worry more about the more severe outcome in older people?  Is there some rule of thumb?  I remember at one point thinking that if my kids reach the age of 12 without having contracted CP, then I would vaccinate them.  I don't remember what information I based that off any more as there's just so much...
I agree with other posters in stating that they give their kids Vitamin D3 to boost immunity, and some even state that their kids receive 1000iu per day.  The best source of Vitamin D is sunshine, but those of us who don't get adequate daily sunlight, especially in the winter, we opt for supplementation.  I know for adults, it is recommended that we get our Vitamin D blood levels tested on higher, therapeutic doses of Vitamin D. The correct test is 25(OH)D, also...
The last time my DW was asked to take a TB Skin Test (TST), we opted instead for the Quantiferon test that is offered locally by Quest Diagnostics (No, I don't work for them or hold any stocks or other financial interests).  We had to specifically ask for it as the doctor ordered the typical TST.  The good thing is that our doctor had heard of the test and told us that in her other practice, that was what they did exclusively.  Our insurance covered it and like a...
I have three boys, currently 4, 8, and 10. Although I was circumcised (I am of Jewish descent though not practicing), my three boys were not (my decision). I am happy that I allowed them the option of choosing themselves. We have had no medical problems. I have explained to the older boys about my decision not to circumcise them.  They are aware that they are intact while I am not. To date, they have no problems with my decision, though I don't think they...
Something similar happened to my son, twice successively within a span of a few months.  First, it was a dog bite, and second, it was a pointed metal axle from a gyroscope. The first time it happened, I was worried about what to do.  That's why I joined mothering.com in the first place.  We cleaned the wound well, and then went into worry mode for the next 2-4 weeks, alert for any signs of tetanus.  We chose not to give him the the TiG since that is not without its own...
I did follow-up for a second opinion with a relatively new (judging by her age) doctor, and she did not favor the TIG based on her observation of the wound and our account of how the injury was sustained.  She looked in the Red Book which seemed to only indicate the tetanus vaccine for undervaccinated patients or patients with unknown vaccine history?  What about unvaccidenated?   She thought that it would be best to keep taking the antibiotics and just to be alert...
My soon to be 4-year-old son was bitten Saturday evening by neighbor's indoor, well cared for, small-middle sized dog who has all vaccines.  Although rabies is of little concern, and we're taking care of infection with antibiotics (Augmentin), I'm worried about tetanus.   The wound seemed to be about a 0.5 cm penetration of the dog's canine tooth into my son's shoulder.  There was no external bleeding.  I washed outside and even cleaned externally with hydrogen...
Then again, we are "forgiven" when we choose to treat and end up with a negative outcome (drug/vaccine side effects) but when we choose not to treat and things go awry, then we are judged to be negligent.
The standard treatment of puncture wounds in children in ER is to: Administer Tetanus Immunoglobulin (TIG) Administer DTaP shot   I wonder.  What is the risk of someone with a puncture wound actually contracting tetanus?   What are the risks of someone having adverse effects from taking TIG which have not been shown to be safe for children? Look at the package insert: http://www.talecris-pi.info/inserts/hypertet.pdf Angiogenic edema Nephrotic...
  My soon to be 4-year-old son was bitten this evening by neighbor's indoor, well cared for, small-middle sized dog who has all vaccines.  Although rabies is of little concern, and we're taking care of infection with antibiotics, I'm worried about tetanus.   The wound seemed to be about a 0.5-1.0 cm penetration of the dog's canine tooth into my son's shoulder.  There was no external bleeding.  I washed outside and even cleaned externally with hydrogen peroxide...