or Connect

Posts by kanani

We deal with this with my older daughter as well (2.5), especially since my husband started taking Wednesdays off and working four ten-hour days. I think our expectations are clear when it is just me, her, and the baby. But on days that dad is home, our routines disappear (along with all predictability), and expectations (both hers and ours) tend to shift. I imagine this can be destabilizing/stressful, even though having dad home is a positive change.
My oldest daughter needed to be latched and held in order to nap through the first year of her life. We worked on it slowly, as I felt more and more frustrated about it as she got older. But not much changed until she was ready to wean a few months ago and since my husband got more involved in putting her to bed when the baby arrived. Now at 2.5yo, she sleeps through the night and will nap on her own (if i lay down next to her while she falls asleep) but she still sleeps...
I have an "art cart" for my daughter. It is a small blue cart from Ikea that has three levels. The top is play dough and tools, the middle has jars with writing and drawing tools, glue and scissors, and the bottom has paper, recycling bits, and other random things like pipe cleaners and craft sticks. She wheels it to wherever she wants to work. And everything is accessible and has its own shelf so its easy to put away when she's done.
so this was my approach when we downsized our stuff: first, i cleared some "mental space" by attacking the low-hanging fruit. i just walked around the room and tossed all the stuff that was clearly junk (mail, cluttery kid toys, tchotchkes i knew i didn't want). then, i started organizing in my head: i listed all of the ways i wanted the living room to function: what activities i did in there vs. what activities did i want to do in there? then i decided, what items really...
I'm in the same boat and subbing for ideas... my DD is 2.5 and her little sister was born a week ago. The first time around, we went super-minimal with the baby gear (no crib, play pen, bouncers, etc) but I'm wondering if I'll need to rethink that this time. 
My DD is 2.5 and will sometimes hit and kick. For her it is often a sign of frustration more than aggression. I try to empathize and wrap her in a hug (while holding her hands)... I tell her that I know she's frustrated, but I will not let her hit me because it hurts, and that she can growl or stomp her feet instead. If that doesnt work, i put her down and walk away. My DD is very verbal, and a couple of times has replied, "but I want to hurt you!" I tell her that I don't...
I also live in a home without much storage -- just one small linen closet and two bedroom closets. No coat closet or pantry or cleaning closet. I second (or third) the recommendation to throw it all out -- just get rid of as much as you can. We did a lot of downsizing of our stuff to reduce the clutter (and constant picking up) after our busy little DD was born. Clothes, papers, and kitchen junk were our real problem areas, and we found that reducing these by 1/2 really...
I agree with your list. It took me a while to realize that staying home during the day didn't mean taking on responsibility for everything at home. I'm lucky to have a super supportive partner who shares in parenting and household jobs whenever he is home... And that is huge. I also just recently started having a helper one morning a week, which is wonderful if it is in the budget. I think I would add two things to the list that make my experience as a sahm so great:...
subbing ... i'm due with #2 in a few weeks, and have been wondering how things will be different this time around. it is a bit hard for me to imagine how life will change this time around, so i'm looking forward to hearing what others say.
We made the compromise and began allowing some screen time for DD, 2.5yo. Like newmamalizzy, we built it into our day -- DD can expect an hour or so of Curious George or another show immediately after her nap. I just need the break for myself -- it keeps me from burning out.    I think what helped us feel good about the compromise was to decide what we really objected to when it came to screen time. We decided we were particularly worried about 1) exposure to...