or Connect

Posts by Viriditas

I was just thinking about this yesterday! I am in an about-to-go-into-labor-any-time contemplative place right now.   My parents were not even remotely AP/GD/Natural. My mom was super young, in a bad marriage, and had rage issues. I don't think my dad was involved much in parenting (they divorced when I was 4). My mom nursed by brother for a few weeks, but I was lucky. I was 8 weeks premature and the doctors recommended that she breastfeed me as long as she could, so...
Congratulations Katie!!!  
Yes, he has autism. I'm optimistic about today. I'm not mentioning the D-word, just saying we're going to meet a nice lady who's going to help us make sure he stays healthy. If he freaks out in the exam room, I'm going to see if we can meet with her somewhere else, and I'm going to make sure she doesn't go anywhere near his ears!   And I didn't see the post about your contractions. Best of luck!!! I'm so glad you are feeling better.    
Oh, Katie. That's horrible. I agree that you should call your midwife/doc and see if there's something they can do about it. And I second the witch hazel/tucks pads.   I had my first labor dream last night! Unfortunately it was back labor and it kept stalling. I hope that's not how it really plays out. Then I had a weird dream that my childhood bedroom was being invaded by thousands and thousands of huge black ants. That was a little unsettling.   DS has an...
I've eaten 5 big bowls of cereal today. I couldn't help myself. And none of it's "good for you" cereal. Kix for breakfast, then a daiya cheese omelette and toast for lunch, then rice chex, and the "natural" versions of honey nut cheerios, frosted mini wheats, and lucky charms (what a joke). We stocked up at the store today (the super sugary Mom's Best brand "natural" cereals were $1.50 a box) and I had to sample every box we got. Oh, and I had an apple. That's the only...
It can be really, really hard for some people to think outside the box. I stopped eating meat when I was 15, and until I left home I basically lived on baked potatoes and iceberg lettuce. My parents just couldn't think of anything to give me instead of the steak. My mom would buy those Amy's frozen meals sometimes and I think our local grocery store started selling veggie ground round after a year or 2, but she'd complain about the cost. (For good reason. Prepared...
This does help, but I still think there's something about spoon feeding that both my mom and my MIL felt like they were missing out on. There's also a learning curve, and some people resist learning to do things differently than they're used to. They don't instinctively know how to prepare real food for a baby or what all a baby can eat if all they've ever fed babies is jarred baby food. We have to teach them these things, and I think it can lead to self-consciousness...
I find this weird, but really pervasive, especially with grandmothers. They really, really want to be able to FEED the baby. Diapering, bathing, cuddling is not enough. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing. They remember the act of nourishing their own children, and they want to have that power again. If you're exclusively nursing, they lament that they can't give the baby a bottle and talk incessantly about when the baby starts solids so they can feed it. If you plan to delay...
I didn't hear anything either time, but I distinctly felt the "pop," and I knew that my water had broken from that alone. It was unmistakable. With DS, I was on the toilet in early labor. It was accompanied only by a small gush, and I continued to have larger gushes with contractions for the next couple hours. With surrobabe, I was in the tub and I could feel the pop and a big gush of fluid come out into the water. It didn't hurt at all either time, and I was already in...
Before DS was even born, my SIL was babysitting a friend's baby (about 7 or 8 months old, I think) and was whining about how she had to go to 3 different stores to find a jar of sweet potatoes. I said, "Why didn't you just grab a sweet potato and stick it in the microwave?" SIL and MIL stared at me like I had 2 heads.   I'm afraid we're going to be getting flack for BLW again (not even considering doing anything else- what a hassle!). Relatives were always whining about...