or Connect

Posts by prosciencemum

The difference is obvious as far as I can see. In refusing vaccines people are going against all medical advice. So the doctors want to make very sure they understand their choice and are not just doing it because "they read something on the internet" (not aiming that at anyone here, but that is the common perception of non vaxers). In the UK at least we get extensive leaflets if information following vaccination. The nurses who do the vaccination have also always asked...
It should be possible to separate critiquing a point of view a person holds (preferably with evidence) from personal attacking them. I don't find being catty fun either. Might be the first time I've ever agreed with Taximom!
No one is saying vaccinated people don't ever get sick (albeit that's implied in simplified messages). But it it demonstrably true they're much (much) less likely to get sick if they're exposed to a VPD they've had the vaccine for.
Isn't there an actual poll option? I know there used to be.
Isn't some of this debate driven by differences of opinion over what counts as a personal attack. Eg 1.I don't understand the xx side's opinion (ok) 2. I don't agree with the xx side's opinion (ok) 3. The xx side are crazy to hold the opinions they have (less ok) 4. I believe the xx side are crazy (I think ok - it's your right to think that) 5. I believe the xx side hate children and want them all to suffer (getting worse). 6. The xx side are crazy, hate children and...
Mirzam - can you provide the reference for that graph? I'd like to dig into it a bit more. Any idea why it ends in 1996? That's almost 20 years ago now!
We also eat healthy organic (and more expensive than cheap processed food). That's nothing to do with choosing not to vaccinate. Like it or not (and I have learned on here some do not like it and would prefer to have at least measles and cp circulating) the non vax are less likely to catch diseases on the vaccine schedule (excluding tetanus) because of all the people who do vaccinate, and who are taking the risk (however small) of side effects from those vaccines.
Kathymuggle - that's basically the entire process of science your describing (disagreeing with bits of it, progressing slowly to a closer description of the truth). Emotions run high in this debate on both sides. I certainly have seen (and recently) opinions that vaccinators are permanently damaging their children. But I also agree with personal freedom, and I don't like the American method of requiring records/exemptions for school entry. It's only the misinformation...
The contrary view is that if your concerned he'll over react to the vaccines what do you think would happen if he got exposed to the disease. However this to me sounds like a genuine concern about immune system function you should have with your child's doctor rather than on an Internet forum. She/he will know which allergic reactions counter indicate vaccination. All the best and hopefully he'll grow out of this.
The whole point of this thread is that it's understood there are people who will never be convinced. Nevertheless vaccines have been found time and time again by the vast majority of scientists and experts to be very safe and to have efficacy (of varying degrees depending on which vaccines you're talking about it). Not very snappy on a poster, but "Vaccines are safe and effective" does sum it up. It's not just teacozy's argument, it's the argument made by basically...