or Connect

Posts by prosciencemum

OK so here goes. This might be a bit train of thought, as I wrote it as I went through my process of digging.      My notes on the article: Polio programme: let us declare victory and move on., by N Vashisht and J Puliyel (published in Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, June 2012).    Badly written for a science article, but that doesn't immediately mean it's wrong!    Note this is an opinion piece - no primary research, cites other works. Again not in itself a problem,...
  Thanks. I found the full text of that abstract (via a quick Google search) at this location (pdf):    http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/documents/vaccines/Polio%20programme%2C%20let%20us%20declare%20victory%20and%20move%20on%2C%20J%20Puliyel.pdf
I'm still not understanding why you think they aren't included if a representative sample of vaccinated children is studied.
Yeah I really shouldn't spend so much time on it. I agree. it's become my "break" at work. Not really healthy. Still I have much lower post counts than some.
Serenbat - what is your first language? I'm really curious, and it might help me to read your posts more easily. :) (supposed to be a happy reassuring smile, not a snarky smile). 
Hmm - well despite what you think about me (and I meant I read books to relax - bit different to my internet habit!) I did spend a couple minutes researching the book you recommend.    So I found their blog, and I kid you not they suggest the Newton massacre was caused by vaccination (indirectly, but still). That's about as low as it gets for me: http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/03/weekly-wrap-lanza-newtown-autism.html   Not convincing me it's worth my money or...
  Just one comment - in case it's not clear to newbies. It's not all or nothing. You can avoid putting uneccessary crap into your body, and also think vaccines (some or all) are, on balance a good idea. Many people posting on these boards (especially on INV) present vaxxers as also eating processed food only, and not caring about their bodies/environment at all etc. At least on MDC you'll find many pro-vax people who eat organic, avoid HFCS, try not to over use...
Hmm - maybe I'll look for a second hand one. I prefer not to give money to spreaders of misinformation personally. Apart from that it's not so much the money outlay as the time (despite Taxi continually hinting I'm a pharma shill paid to do this, this really is a hobby for me in addition to a full time job as a scientist, and two young children). I read to relax, not to get stressed out more about lies and misinformation.    But I suppose there's an argument for...
  Well it showed a detectable difference in VPD rates in the two groups (unvaccinated had more in case you were wondering), although both rates were low -  and it showed no detectable difference in any chronic issues they looked at (which included excema, asthama).     So I guess I agree that in this sample it showed very little benefit, and absolutely no harm. 
  I really fail to understand what proof you want or what you think would be possible to find in the way of proof.... there are studies which include representative samples of vaccinated and unvaccinated children. Not all vaccinated and unvaccinated children (since that would be next to impossible), a representative sample....