or Connect

Posts by ForeverFather

Here is a basic primer that does a better job than I could of explaining what "Paganism" is, and gives a basic list of some (but definitely not all) of the vast number of religions which fall under that umbrella term.     http://www.ecauldron.net/newpagan.php   Once you decide which religion interests you more I may be able to help you out with books, and the website I linked you to has forums where there are some knowledgeable people to help with recommendations...
If you saw a pregnant woman smoking? No, it's her body and her choice.   If you saw a toddler running across the street ahead of it's mother? If the child was in danger I would catch it and return it to its mother. I wouldn't say anything, though. Little kids can be quick and slippery.   If you saw a teenager drinking a beer? No.   If you witnessed a hit and run? I would just write down the offender's license plate number and report it to the police....
Quote: What can I say? I'm really, really non-confrontational.
I agree with mom31 that you should tell your sons the whole truth as soon as possible, before they hear it elsewhere or hear it later and feel upset that they weren't told immediately. I would personally want to get more details from you ex first, though. At least find out whether there's an investigation going on which may reveal the whole truth or if it will always be a "maybe" suicide. If there is an investigation, I could see waiting until it's completed to tell the...
I always tell people not to do assessments until they're getting ready to start 1st grade. The tests are more accurate at that age and it's the age when school generally starts to have a real academic focus.   I'm strongly opposed to "normalizing" gifted children, but there's really not much point or documented advantage in pushing academics prior to age 6.    
queenjane, I will definitely try to keep up a journal. That's a very good idea!
I was 32 (almost 33) when I took guardianship of my godson and 36 when I adopted my sons. The boys are 11 so there's a 25 year age difference. There was only a 16 year difference between my godson and I, which definitely verged on weird. At least no one is going to mistake Casey and Devin for my little brothers!   I'm in a very affluent area where people normally start families in their 30s or early 40s, so I'll still be quite a bit younger than other fathers of...
Quote: You're in a place where they don't put the TPR'd children up for adoption? What do they do with them if the foster family they're staying with doesn't want to adopt them?   Sorry, that just sounds very strange and impractical to me.
This is why I won't teach classes. When you have 30+ students, many of whom would rather be anywhere else, it's extremely difficult to notice anything other than the disruptions. The saddest part is that students are usually disrupting either because the teaching method isn't working for them or because there are unaddressed issues in other parts of their lives, but there's no possible way (that I could find) to use a teaching method that works for everyone or to...
I have a Facebook account to keep in touch with former students and kids I met through my volunteer work. It's really the only practical way to stay in touch with a larger group of unrelated people like that. I like being able to watch them mature and grow as time passes. I have virtually no personal information on the account (just my name and a profile pic so everyone knows who I am when I comment on their statuses). My email is there in case they need something or...