or Connect

Posts by jmoon

So cute and so nuanced!  Grown-ups totally underestimate kids' ability to grasp "complicated" concepts.  Maybe it's only complicated for people who learn about it when they're older and have to go through a paradigm shift in order to incorporate it.  Like learning a new language as an adult vs growing up bilingual?  
Seraf~  I'd love to talk to you further about your experience sharing breastfeeding and planning to do so again!  I'm excited for you and your sweetie with one little one and a sibling soon to follow.  What a sweet family!  I'll PM you in a minute.   Anyone else who might be interested in helping out can write me privately or post here.  Thanks so much!
Yay, Steph!  I'm super happy for you both.  :)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the amazing documentary "Queen of the Sun." Came out last year, maybe?   I have been vegetarian since I was 10, and became vegan at 22. I'm now 31, and I don't know what to call myself. I'm much less policey than I was. I still don't eat meat, and I cook vegan, but I'll have some of my stepdad's cake (he runs a bakery) every once in a while and not ask questions about dairy in them. And I will eat my mom's chickens' eggs because I...
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the midwives I have worked with really like New Chapter Perfect Prenatal.  (I am an almost-midwife.)  I also really like that's it's made from whole foods, etc.  I consider Rainbow Light another solid choice for those who want something a bit cheaper.
As I mentioned, I haven't noticed any particular labor-length difference between my straight and queer clients, myself, and don't tend to put much stock in casual observations of others.  In fact, most of my own clients have had short-and-sweet labors with few complications.  But I also am pretty new at this: I haven't even taken my certifying exam yet, and will be a junior midwife for a few more years still.   That said, considering I intend to work largely with the...
I would love to see what other folks have to say on this subject, myself!  I am set on having children, preferably in the next couple years.  We are currently deciding whether my partner of 3.5 years wants to be involved in kids-ing, or whether we will be splitting up soon.  So there's a good chance I'll be a queer single mama as well, though my sperm-maker of choice is interested in a co-parenting relationship, so it's a little different.
I haven't had any babies yet, but I attend births for a living, and many of my clients are queer.  I haven't noticed any added pain, tearing, or any of that.  And I second the idea that some lesbian sex involves much larger objects than many guys' penises.  Perhaps if the OP is concerned, she could use a dildo a few times before the baby comes--not because I think it would help acclimatize the tissues or anything, but because it could alleviate the mental stuff.  Like...
I've spoken to some of you separately, but I just found this thread and thought I'd join the discussion, as it's relevant.   I'm a student midwife, doing my bachelor's research on shared breastfeeding in queer families, and am looking for more parents who would like to fill out my questionnaire (when it's done).  Open to families who induced lactation as well as those who had babies close together or alternated or any other arrangement.  Trans and poly families also...
I identify as part of the trans spectrum, some variant of genderqueer, but don't mind whatever pronouns someone wants to use for me, and I don't plan to go the hormones or surgery route.  I'm not a parent yet, but I spend a lot of time with other folks' kids, and they tend to understand, even at 2 and 3, that not everybody is a girl or a boy.  One three year old says I'm "a little bit a girl and a little bit a boy."  Another friend's kid says "sometimes you're a girl,"...