or Connect

Posts by tiqa

I only have two seconds to post but I just wanted to know I'm right there with you - it seems that my 14 month old is having WAY too many carbs, and some fruits too, but not much else.  I think I'm going to just not buy any more carb stuff next time I go shopping so the easy temptation isn't there.  I think it's also my giving them to her because she can feed them to herself without getting too messy - I have two other kids who still need a lot of help during mealtimes and...
Mamarhu - your story brings tears to my eyes because it resembles our story so much,, but we're still in the thick of it (he's 7).  We are unschooling as well.  We tried EI with little result.  Your story gives me hope.
Put yourself in their shoes.  Let's say that you don't want to vaccinate and your pediatrician and school are aware of that fact.  But another parent-friend feels that that's medical neglect, and struggles and struggles with their conscience and reports you.  CPS comes to your door and starts an investigation, with the presumption that if someone called on you there's a good reason for it.  You think it's ridiculous and brush it off, or else you get freaked out and...
I wish people wouldn't turn to cps as first resort. Not saying the op is, it's just the case that many people do. Even when it's obvious kids need some sort of intervention, cps IMO should be the last resort, or for truly significant cases. Not "maybe" cases. Talk to the doctor, talk to the teacher, the relatives, I don't know. Why involve the authorities unless it's a cut and dry abuse/neglect case... Just my opinion. :/
I agree that the school will deal with it.  If you don't wish to be friends with this lady, then by all means, that's your right.  But I don't think you have to lose any sleep over this child for the reasons you stated in your post.  You said there were other issues that you're not mentioning.  I don't know what those might be - but as it stands with what you wrote here, I don't think it's your call to make - no matter how well-intentioned you might be.
I have two ADHD children and I can't say I really agree with a lot of the mainstream ways of dealing with them.  Mainly, I see that most children who also have ODD are parented almost to the letter of expert guidance.   For us what works best is a) me maintaining patience b) strengthening our bond c) lots of logical talking about WHY we have certain rules so they have a desire to do the right thing and d) just lots of repetition.  Think of your kids as being 3 years...
My babe is 14 months old and hooooly change in personality.  I don't remember my other two changing so much around this age, but they were intense from the start.  This one was pretty mellow to start with, but she is getting FEISTY.  Biting, screaming, hitting, pulling her own hair if she doesn't get her way.  But she's also sweet a lot of the time.  I figure it's because she's struggling with talking - my early talker never went through this, but I can see that this babes...
All I can add to this is that it's normal.   Annoying to mamas ;) but normal.
Don't stress so much about doing it perfectly - as long as the baby is content and you're seeing good diapers, don't stress about it.   Nurse as much as you can, and don't limit it, especially in the first few weeks.   Get lots of rest (so you can make milk) and hydrate, and practice good nipple hygiene because dang, mastitis hurts.   And the first few weeks of nursing suck but in the long run it's a small price to pay - it won't be that awful forever.  :)
Because to me it's the default, and I had no reason not to nurse my second two children.  My first wouldn't nurse and I didn't have milk.  So he was bottle fed, but we didn't have glitches with the second two.   FWIW the fact that formula costs so much is a close second.   I didn't have any breastfeeding role models - I was the first of my peer group to have kids and I wasn't particularly crunchy or anything.  And my mom nursed me for a few months but stopped, but...