or Connect

Posts by Laurie Boucke

As long as you don't start and stop a lot, with breaks of several days or weeks in between, it isn't confusing for the child. For example if you potty minimally once or a few times in the morning and/or evening most days for a while, that should be fine. Most families EC part time. Even when doing it full time, parents experience some misses. Enjoy! Laurie
Quote: Originally Posted by 413twinmom has anyone tried it out there with multiples?? Hi and congrats on being pregnant with twins. To reply to your question, yes, many families have ec'd twins. It's essential to have a very relaxed attitude and approach since you'll be so busy with many other things too. Wait until you feel rested and recovered from the birth and then when you want to make a start, give it a try. In the meantime, read up on...
Thanks for mentioning this, Georgiamum. Here are the endorsement quotes supplied by both Dr. William Sears (Sr. & Jr.) at the front of "Infant Potty Training: A Gentle and Primeval Method Adapted to Modern Living": Quote by Dr. William Sears, pediatrician (November 2000) “I found your book to be very helpful. Besides helping an infant achieve early potty training, the method in this book helps parents learn to read their baby’s body language better. I wish you the best...
All the ec books are good. If you'd like to read about the things you mentioned plus medical support, anthropological reports & testimonials, you'll find all that and lots of helpful color photos in the latest version (2008) of "Infant Potty Training: A Gentle and Primeval Method Adapted to Modern Living" http://www.white-boucke.com/ipt.html Cheers, Laurie
-- I think that I'm mostly going to have to go off timing -- This is fine. Our son never gave any signals for pees. We did fine with timing, and once you start with timing, you might notice a few general patterns. I say general, in case you were expecting something precise. Don't expect precision and definitely don't strive for perfection. -- Do you try every hour? -- I think it's better to try at 2-3 likely times per day at first, usually in relation to sleeping...
Quote: Originally Posted by foodmachine she's 14.5 months, we started 2 weeks ago with a very successful first day or so. Now she screams if we try to put her on the potty and then happily pees on the floor. We are thinking to go back to diapers w/out covers and just work on having her sign when she is wet or when she is going to pee. kinda, give the potty a break. Sounds good. It's always okay to alter the procedure or take a break when in...
Quote: Originally Posted by huminbird He wants to pee while standing. He has started to cruise lately and is working towards walking. I think walking is only a couple of weeks away. He is almost 11 months. How did others get over this if they had the same problem? You could try the weeman urinal for baby/toddler boys: http://www.amazon.com/WeeMan-Potty-T.../dp/B001DZWPSQ Some baby/toddler boys prefer to stand or insist on standing to...
Quote: Originally Posted by foodmachine She was just starting to sign "pee" but when she found out that resulted in being put on the potty she stopped. We are thinking to make the short term goal: DD "communicates" to us when she is peeing (and then when she is about to pee). And wait on whole potty bit. This is fine as long as it's fine with you and doesn't cause any upset or negativity (sounds like it won't). Another thing you can do...
With late-starters, it's perfectly normal and very very common for a child to sit on the toilet or potty for a while, then to get up and go on the floor. You need to be patient and give her time to learn. It might take her some weeks or a few months to catch on, or she might surprise you and start sooner. It takes practice and gentle encouragement. Most important of all is for you to remain relaxed, relaxed, relaxed. From your description, it sounds like she might do...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaof5boys What's the difference between EC and toilet learning? Hi there! In my opinion, EC is a form of toilet learning. Medical professionals classify it this way. For late-starters, many of the tactics are the same as with toilet learning. With EC there is a lot of emphasis on communication and responsiveness, plus there is no punishment or coercion involved. You are already off to a good start with your...