or Connect

Posts by NaomiLorelie

Quote: Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph I have to disagree here. Many anorexics do NOT binge and purge. Anorexic activity is about restriction of calories, rules regarding food ("safe foods"), fasting, and limiting food intake in unhealthy ways. (to say nothing of what emotionally goes on also) Binging and Purging IS bulimia. Period. Not anorexia. You can be an anorexic who is also "mia" in some way, i.e. purging using laxatives, but most...
Quote: Originally Posted by nikag What makes this question ride that thin line between racist and not, is the fact that it is so poignant, detailed. It’s about relationships and relating – and it’s about the context and subtle shaming. Thank you! What bothered me so much about the question was the DETAIL that to me seemed like stereotypical detail. If the question had just be Woman A eats a lot of fried fatty foods and woman B purges I...
Quote: Originally Posted by orangebird So what was the answer to the question supposed to be anyway? What eating disorder could they both possibly grouped together in? The answer to the question was disordered eating. (At least I hope so, because that is what I answered.) The book emphasizes obesity just as much as anorexia/bulimia. The book is pretty bad as well because it focused on BMI and weight, instead of unhealthy eating in general.
Quote: Originally Posted by meowee I don't think the fried chicken was intended as "ethnic" when you take it in the context of "french fries" and "cheeseburgers." Why are you picking out the fried chicken and leaving out the other 2 foods? They're talking about fast food/ junk food, not "black" food. I think BOTH names are meant to sound ethnic. I see this in a lot of the books DD brings home, where the authors are clearly trying to steer away from...
I know this is about college so it might be considered a better fit in working and student mamas but given the subject matter I really want as many knowledgable opinions as possible. I am taking Adolescent Development In the Family and had my first test today. One question was about disordered eating. I don't have the exact question but to paraphrase: "Ta'eisha believes that "big is beautiful" and eats a diet that consists of FRIED CHICKEN, cheeseburgers, and french...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades You come armed with facts, don't use anecdotal evidence, and make sure you are a strong student. This! And you also understand that unfortunately it takes time to change people's minds about "popular" ideas. You catch more flies with honey, don't back down but be respectful.
My cats are fed a premium food and check out healthy at the vet. I have three of them and two have a (disgusting, aggravating, maddening) habit of dragging their rear on the floor after having a BM. Stinky (who is named as such because she has had GI sensitivities since she was a kitten) has always done this. It does get worse if she gets into dairy products and she can only eat certain premium foods. Patches is getting to be an old lady at almost 13 and she just started...
5.5 yo DD probably eats every couple of hours, sometimes less. Small snacks. I have noticed lately that she is starting to eat meals with us instead of a snack sized portion and she is starting to go longer between meals and snacks. I just let her do what her body tells her to. Snacks absolutely can be very nutritious. Typical ones around here are apple slices, banana, or other fruit, bell pepper slices, carrots, string cheese, black bean burritos (I make big batches of...
I just voted "Ask him yourself at school on Monday." but I meant other. I think that would be a bad idea personally. I was thinking that you have a talk with the teacher about this situation before going to the parents. If there is any problems it might be possible for the school to help mediate.
So that means the next time I hear someone rave about this formula I can tell them that studies indicate it may kill more babies than plain formula. Hmmmmm. No one would believe me though. What a shame.