or Connect

Posts by Snydley

Hi-    This morning DD (who is almost 6) was extra clingy and refusing to go to the bathroom.  I finally get her in there but the usual method "I'll race you!"  but once in she immediately jumped into my chest and wound up yanking my hair pretty hard (by accident).  This was maybe the 3rd or 4th behavior of this type this morning and i just snapped, saying "GET OFF!" "MY HAIR!!" and swatting her behind twice until she let go.  She started at me for about 5 seconds and...
Hmm.  Is she ever seeing you react this way (throwing things, etc)?  She could be similar to you genetically and just have your nature or she is mimicking your behavior (or both).     She could be reacting to the stress within the house.  I know when DH and I have periods of more intense stress (due to work, etc) is probably extremely obvious to DD.  She really is watching our every move (as annoying as that is!).     I recommend reading the book Simplicity Parenting.  It...
Hi-    My 5yo DD is in zero activities as well.  She is in kindergarten 8:50-2:05 all week, with one day of after school care...by Friday she is super tired.  On the weekends she plays with neighborhood kids and has a lot of time to hang out in her PJs playing whatever she feels like by herself (toys, drawing, etc).     I personally don't think structured activities are generally a positive experience for a 5yp, although I could see 1 or 2 being ok.  I know a lot...
Journeymom- I was in a Catholic all girls high school and HATED it..of course in retrospect is wasn't so bad at all!     -Jen
I agree with this article and love the humor in it as well.  I don't think you need to leave the school system per se- just fight back, hard.  My 5yo is in zero after school 'lessons' right now, she has lots of free time to be bored, then start drawing on post-its/playing with her dolls/inviting over some neighborhood kids to run around and make a mess.     DH and I deliberately moved to a "middle of the road" public school district, never push academics of any kind,...
Hi-   My DD is also 5.  She receives toys twice a year: her birthday and Xmas- pretty much end of story.  It's not a battle, it's not an issue, it just is..kind of like how it used to be for kids in generations past.  If she sees a commercial for a toy she would like, or we're in a store and pass by the toy section, and she says "I want to get THAT!"  I say, great, remember it for your Xmas/birthday list (whichever is coming up next).  I figure if she actually...
Hi-    My cousin's DD developed pronounced blinking ("twitch") at around 4yo after a move.  She still does it occasionally but MUCH less than when it started.   Was their ANY change in his routine?  Are you and DH switching duties?  (as in, you used to read books and night but now he does, etc)..something that minor can really stress kids out at that age, and they don't articulate it at all (speaking from experience!).   GL Jen
Hi-  Sorry, I am just returning to this thread.     When you have one child, people act like you are doing something wrong to them..and they often say it to your face.  "You're really going to leave her ALONE??"  When I write that my top goals for my DD are to give her the best mental health possible as an adult (which I believe is linked to early childhood experiences) and parents who stay together and remain friends, this is in reference to MY family only.  My DH...
OP- I completely, absolutely, 100% agree with all of your thoughts on preschool, and DH and I feel as strongly about it as you do.  I chose a preschool that has not changed it's basic plan in 36 years.  When I toured the Director said, "here our #1 priority is social and emotional development."  Lots of fun while learning how to wait your turn, wait in line, be in charge of your possessions, be respectful to others.  No 'academics', no emphasis on computers (they had a...
Great thread.    I would like to take my DD to Africa when she is older (maybe ~16) for a couple weeks to volunteer with an organization that helps empower and educate women.  It's something I'm really looking forward to doing and I hope she wants to go with me.   I asked her if she wanted to go tonight and she said yes.  She is only 5 though and did ask if we could bring the neighbors' kids.  lol   Jen