or Connect

Posts by Snydley

Man when will I learn!  Not what I meant...more that the 'tech' careers are unrelenting in it's demands (the more work you do, the more they give you), and as a result parents with these kinds of jobs have a hard time shutting off and not working.   I have this problem with my job and have on many occasions put DD in front of a movie for a conference call on days that I'm supposed to be off work.  Again, if I see a parent on the internet at a park I of course wouldn't...
Well said.     Yes my job has me around these families - ironically, these are our good friends from grad school and now we have relocated in the same city.   By 'surrounded' I mean not unusual.   As far as the baby in front of the screen all the time, the girl is now 6 and has zero screen time limits, including her own IPAD for the car/restaurants, etc, and she is never put to bed and is typically up until 12-1am watching tv.  We had a hurricane come through last fall...
      Oh come on.  I'm not blaming parents for all their kids' issues by any stretch.  When I see a child who has been in front of a TV screen for 10+ hours a day since birth and winds up with attention issues and a speech delay, you don't think that maybe parenting had something to do with it?   Also, I'm surrounded by kids who are bought whatever they want whenever..to the point where on Xmas morning, they have no desire to go downstairs and open gifts.  The parents...
      By "AP" I mean responding to your DC in the way that makes sense for you, thoughtful parenting in response to what is best for them.  My DD slept in a crib for years and I've never babyworn either!  I actually don't know the official rules of AP.   I don't expect DD to turn out perfect (as there is no such thing) I just want her to be as emotionally healthy as possible.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this being my #1 priority for her.     Maybe on these...
  I'll admit, I judge parents.  Most believe too strongly in genetics and don't think about what the heck they are doing.   Parenting is 1000x harder than I ever thought it would be and there is a HUGE lack of effort by many parents.  Include the breakdown of the community in this country (not living near relatives, don't know your neighbors) kids are going to have more problems than ever IMO.  I  do understand your perspective though.   -Jen  
I'm so sorry for the confusion, I should clarify.     My statement that "mental health issues and parenting practices are linked" does NOT mean that the way you parent can prevent all forms of mental illness, AT ALL.   When I say linked, I mean that in some circumstances, I believe that some forms of mental issues manifest because of early childhood experiences.  I have a brother with schizoaffective disorder.  He is currently refusing meds and living on the streets...
      I absolutely 100% believe that AP-type practices DO make kids "better" in relation to their long term mental health.  I am convinced that the epidemic of mental health issues in the US is directly linked to parenting practices.  For example, it is not normal to stop parenting at 8pm.  It doesn't mean co-sleeping is best for all kids, because of course some children sleep better alone, but not comforting a crying child for extended periods of time, not respecting...
Beans and Greens!  Old school Italian recipe from the family cookbook.  Good one!
Hi-    Well my DD is not into them (yet!) but the one thing that I find to be nuts about it is that you buy a set to complete that one thing (Harry Potter Castle, etc) and then it's done..so then what?  Time to get a new one.  The old lego sets were generic- meaning, use your imagination and build something new every time you use it.  I find it's similar to Lincoln logs too.     We are going to Florida and my FIL has a house about 5 minutes from the new lego land....
Thanks Pickle18.  It amazes me how few people share our beliefs, but honestly the pressure to have more than one is SO great in this country it's ridiculous.  I just can't believe the things people say to us!  "You're not going to leave her ALONE, are you??" One friend said to DH "come on, you've got to have ANOTHER!" while his two kids were screaming at each other behind him.  My DH replied, "why, so I can be as miserable as you?"  Another friend with two girls two years...