or Connect

Posts by amama2011

OMG, that's just a horror story!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed this won't happen to us even though I do know that she'll get sick just like everyone else. A friend of mine also had to pull her son out of daycare for 5 months because he was sick almost non-stop.        Ha-ha, as a matter of fact I am :) Is it a national paranoid idea about changing shoes? :) But I'm not the only one who was concerned about this in our daycare, I've spoken to two more moms who thought...
Remembered one thing that was helpful - to warm up the crib before putting the baby into crib, this way baby does not wake up when you put him/her from your arms or breastfeeding pillow on the cold crib sheet. You can use a heating pad to keep the bedding warm. Another thing I came up with is to put a receiving blanket on a breastfeeding pillow when nursing my DD. When she falls asleep I put her into crib with her blanket. First, it's easier to transfer her on the...
About lead - I have never heard this one before but will look it up. Don't thing this is something that would be considered anyway but at least will know for myself.
Wow, shoe-free... that's an interesting choice :) In our daycare that would not work - I would be the first one to protest because the floors are pretty cold. At this time of the year there is no heating yet, and the daycare is on the first floor, and even thought it's a fairly new and modern building the floors are cold. In our daycare in terms of shoes there is actually another somewhat strange policy - kids do not take their shoes off when they sleep. I asked why, and...
My daughter was just like that too. During the day she would sleep only if I was holding her on breastfeeding pillow. She would fall asleep nursing, and then I would have to seat with her like that until she wakes up. If I tried to transfer her  to the crib, or to get her to sleep in the crib in the first place without nursing she would not sleep (or would wake up when I tried to put her from the pillow to the crib). Whatever I tried did not work so I just gave up and...
My daughter started a daycare this week, and I have some concerns about cleanness standards in the room. To start with, the staff does not change their shoes when they come to work. Given that many babies in this group can't walk yet (they range in age anywhere between 10 and 18 months) I am really concerned about this fact. My daughter puts her hands into her mouth all the time, and she crawls on the floor where 5 teachers bring the dirt every day from the outside....
  I think when mamazee said that these cases are very uncommon she referred to the cases like I mentioned in the first post - child abduction by the strangers, killings by children-psychopaths. I've started reading the book "Protecting the gift", and this is actually something the author is talking about - while the most violent crimes against children are not very common they get the widest media coverage, and therefore, the risks appear to be more real than they are....
Thank you for the book title mamazee, I've found it already in the local library, will get it today. You are absolutely right about these cases being uncommon but on the other hand not taking chances - since I don't know much about teaching kids safety nowadays such a book is definitely something I'd like to read.   I have heard recently about "free range kids" book, and I'm all pro this idea. Our parents worked full time and never kept close tabs on our whereabouts...
Just read an article "Can a Kid Be a Psychopath?" on Yahoo which I find very disturbing.  http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/parenting/kid-psychopath-221400341.html There is also a very high profile criminal case that is in the Canadian press right now (I live in Canada) - two people, a man and a woman, lured an 8-year old girl, then raped and killed her.  My daughter is 7 months old now, and I feel unprepared to raise her when I read stories like this. How do I...
cat13, thanks for your reply and all ideas.        she does that all the time :) but that's different - I know when she is doing that. Speaking of pulling away and crying - she actually stopped doing that, did not happen in the last few days but grunting still continues. Don't know, maybe as you say, she is just really into it.    We do use Ovol sometimes when she is gassy, it seems to help. I am going to try to add a special infant probiotics to her diet, and see if...