or Connect

Posts by petitpois

Bananas and rice are universally the easiest both to digest and keep down. I can't believe you were advised to drink chemical sugary gatorade! But it is of course important to get electrolytes to stay healthy and hydrates, so find a way to include salt (with the rice) and also try coconut water, diluted fruit juices, and avocados to keep balanced (bananas are also good for potassium). Ginger tea (by boiling peeled ginger sliced or grated) with honey and lemon seems to help...
What about parents who set no limits with their children, and/or take their own child's side in any conflict among children (e.g. trying to just let their kid have whatever she took from the other kid to avoid a bigger tantrum, or even yelling at the other child)? I have an unplanned-parent friend who I'm sure is doing her best but unfortunately does this combo, and I'm fine being around either her or her child, but I can't really handle them together anymore (constant...
I've noticed a pattern of my 18mo hitting us repeatedly (as a game?) even after we tell her it hurts/ we don't like it, and it's been getting more frequent especially whenever someone gets hurt and we tell her "that hurts" - that is, she now comes over and hits me in the face when I tell her "that hurts" about something else that just happened. She does it whether the initial hurt is an accident or something she does to us (stepping on my foot, jumping on papa's belly,...
Agree with pretty much everything above -- don't worry about feeling like you're breaking rules, just follow your instincts and take care of your baby and yourself. However I also agree with those who suggest looking into this - my baby was pretty intense as a newborn and with teething etc, and I thought she might be high needs but 8months was a relatively calm time (not much sleep and not so independent, but very happy). They are all different, but if your baby has been...
If you want to take a day trip to farms or countryside out in the French boonies, or possibly even meet in/around Paris (either by planning a trip or meeting up when we're there sometime), we are 90min by TGV... How old are your kids? I know a few families around here with at least one American parent, so a bunch of English-speaking kids (at least passively) with ages ranging from 18m-5yo. Do you not speak French at all, or are you looking for bilingual support /...
It would be hard to go much greener than my mom when I was little - we lived off the grid on a ranch, wore cloth diapers & homemade clothing, gardened & composted, ate a vegetarian macrobiotic organic diet, and when we moved to a city we still gardened and biked everywhere for a while with us kids in the bike trailer... I'm doing much of that, finally starting a garden on my balcony, plus using public transportation and biking a lot more than I could in the US, since I...
Haha, thanks the reply - and yes she did go out to "school" in a pajama top the other day! That sort of power struggle hasn't really been an issue so far (she can wear whatever she wants if she feel strongly enough about it to choose something herself), but I do plan to set up a montessori-style closet for her when we get her room together; everything within reach and organized for easy choosing one thing from each basket/section. I really like the approach of of setting...
I don't have a 3yo yet, but I've seen it, and yeah, I think it's good to listen to everyone who says it's ok to have your limits and show them, and let your child know when you are angry - not necessarily with yelling, but tell them how you feel. This applies to almost any age (after say 18m), right? Today my 18mo hit me with a toy and I say firmly that hurts. Still not smiling, I don't like that, it hurt me. Unhappy face and I see she understands. There is a whole...
That is sad since Montessori should not be about kids falling in line, but it sounds like you've learned a lot about your child and his needs from this experience. I hope it doesn't turn you off to Montessori permanently, because it's all about creating an environment that allows each child to do things at the their own pace / in their own way. It sounds like there might be too many kids in that group though... good luck with the new place, keep us posted on how the...
OK I suppose this is probably perfectly normal, but I am amazed at how fast my baby just became a regular toddler! In the last week or so, right at 17.5m, she has suddenly started having a lot more frustration in various contexts and even having tantrums on the floor sometimes. She's still very sweet and affectionate and playful, but she also cries a lot more and at things that never seemed to bother her, and almost seems to be looking for opportunities for...