or Connect

Posts by AmyG

I had a baby in a sling once at the grocery store, and the deli guy apparently glanced at it and thought it was a purse. When the baby stuck his foot out a few minutes later, the poor guy screamed. He appologized and told me he was just surprised that I had a baby in there.
My b-day is 12/20, DH's is 12/24, and our oldest DS is 1/1. Last year, our second DS was 2.5 at Christmas time, and he got his feelings hurt because he was the only one in the family without a birthday. Now we have a third DS born in May, so it will be more obvious that not everybody gets a birthday during the Christmas season. I liked my birthday growing up, but my parents were really good about always doing something for it. DH hated his birthday. His parents were...
Will he drink the Neocate if you mix it with juice rather than water? Have you tried the flavoring packets? Some kids like it with just sugar in it. I know that's not ideal, but it's probably better than not drinking any at all. You can also try different cups. Maybe he'd like to go shopping and pick out his own cup. You may want to steer him towards ones with straws, though, because Neocate tastes awful, and a straw will put it back further in his mouth where he won't...
I had a version just about 2 weeks ago. I was 38 weeks 3 days and had just found out my baby was breech, so there wasn't a lot of time to try natural stuff first. It's my 3rd baby, and I was concerned I'd go into labor before it turned. (I'm 41 weeks today and still pregnant, but I didn't know that would happen, and I would have still been concerned about the size.) Mine was done by my midwives' backup OB at the hospital. Being in the Labor and Delivery floor of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by hottmama Also, he'd be in the middle of the back seat, and there are headrests. Unless the middle seat has a seatbelt with a shoulder strap (some do), that's not an appropriate place for a booster. It absolutely has to have a shoulder strap--not just a lap belt.
This is actually relatively easy to handle. You need to talk to a pharmacist. They can look up the "inert" ingredients in antibiotics and find one that's safe. You may have to take a liquid rather than pills, though. If you absolutely can't find one, you'll need to find a compounding pharmacy in your area. They can take just the amoxicillin and mix it with ingredients that are safe for you and your baby. I don't know if they have caplets available--I've only done it for my...
The person you really want to talk to is the anesthesiologist, not the doctor doing the surgery. S/he might be easier to talk to than the doctor. If you can't talk to the anesthesiologist beforehand and you do decide to nurse closer than 6 hours beforehand, I'd be frank and let them know the morning of the surgery. I completely and totally believe that it's perfectly safe, but I also think that you should give people all the information they might need when they're...
I wouldn't avoid it unless I had a family history of allergies. I do have a family history of allergies, and I'm allergic to peanuts, so I don't eat peanuts (or any other nuts while nursing), but I would if my family were more normal. I do think that anyone who handles peanuts or any nut products (and fish, for that matter) should wash their hands well before they touch the baby.
When I was pregnant with my first, I spent a lot of time thinking about the argument that babies need to be used to bottles in case something happens to the mother. Then after a while, I realized that I'd never in my life had a medical emergency that would have prevented me from breastfeeding. I've had surgery, but it's always been scheduled, so I could train my baby to take a substitute before I had to be away. I realize that emergencies do happen, but they're going to be...
To some extent, it also depends on what situation the midwives will have to transport you to. Some hospitals are not supportive of midwives and love to do c-sections on transfers. We're doing a birth center for this birth that transfers to a hospital that's not a bad place to birth, relatively speaking, and the back-up doctors for the midwive's group is very supportive. The transfer rate is 10 point something percent, but many of the women who are transferred go on to...