or Connect

Posts by buko

How old is your baby now?   8 months today!   How is feeding going? Are you introducing solids or EBF?   I think she's about like some of the rest of yours-- seems almost like she's trying to wean somedays!  Baby-led solids continue to go well...  We are doing twice a day many days now-- something not-too-messy (like steamed carrots) in the morning/lunchtime and then something with protein (usually) in the evening.  Usually whatever we're eating.  Sometimes, if we're...

I think because it matters to us.  General "us" as a society.  Same with race, which takes more time to "pick up" or "refine" as it's even more socially-constructed and nebulous and culture-dependent. In response to a PP, I also don't want to say that genitals determine gender, so I will try and think about my response to that.  Maybe "If so and so says he is a boy, then he is a boy."  Or whatever.  I have some trans* friends and acquaintances, so.
Yes, it's easier in Tagalog, when we use that (but neither of us is really fluent).  Then we use "sia," (he/she) and it's nice and neutral.
One thing that I became acutely aware of only after having a baby (she's only 8 months, FWIW) is how we will verbally "gender" people and things and animals and characters in books, etc., even when gender is not clear.  Like, people always talk about how they did everything gender-neutral, blah blah, and their girls ended up loving dolls, and boys trucks, yadda yadda.  But I noticed I will read a picture book and see a child in a dress, with long hair-- no actual words...
TooMuch!
As for Miss L, she is hovering around 1-2 diapers most days (DH only does diaper laundry once a week now), but I think that will change as she is thisclose to crawling and is already cruising on furniture, etc., and it may not be long until she's walking, as well...  Part is because it's easier to miss her signal when she's not being worn or super close to us, and part because she is more interested in doing what she's doing than stopping to potty.  Plus, per a cool...
Cat and SGS, that's awesome!    Upon waking is a great time to catch-- we still take Miss L first thing and she's gotten so used to it that she will always "hold" it for a couple minutes now, if it takes us that long to get to the potty.  Of course, we communicate the whole time-- "We're going to take you to the potty, just a sec, blah blah blah."  At first we had to be quick as a flash upon her waking, but I think she's so used to the routine now...   I liked...
We seem to have some signing here, and it seems to be consistent, but something is being lost in translation, LOL.  "Potty" seems to mean "milk" and "more" seems to mean "potty" (poop, specifically).  We are staying tuned.