or Connect

Posts by MoreBeans

And we (me, husband, toddler, newborn, betta fish, and two cats) moved to another city a week after my section.
I have no experience with an emergency section, but I did have a vaginal birth and then a planned cesarean per my request two years later. The cesarean recovery was incredibly easy compared to recovering from 50+ hours of labor and three hours of pushing. I don't know what common protocols are where you live, but I received adequate pain medication after my section. Had I receive something more than over-the-counter meds after a grueling vaginal delivery, I may have a...
I only read your first post. In no way do I regret having a cesarean with my second child. My first was born just shy of 41 weeks. She was posterior and came out with APGARs of 2 and 7 after 50 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing. So much for the notion that vaginal birth squeezes fluid from the baby's lungs. She was draining fluid for days. I guess her poor, giant noggin took the brunt of the squeezing. The damage to my body is permanent, but I was unwilling to put by...
Yes, that Ergo can be a killer for some of us regardless of the lovely reviews and the convenience of babywearing. Pregnancy, birth, and "recovery" have taught me that though it is difficult to give up the things you love or envisioned yourself doing, we need to be honest about our own physical limitations. I wanted to stay active, have an unmedicated birth, wear my baby, and nurse well over a year. None of that happened, and I do think that trying to achieve those goals...
My debilitating pelvic pain started at 20 weeks and still continues today, 14 months postpartum. I went from having a tiny ache in my symphysis starting at 18 weeks to suddenly being unable to lift my feet high enough to slip on my shoes. It also affected my hips and made walking incredibly difficult. This all came as a shock since I had been incredibly strong and flexible when I became pregnant.   No one would prescribe effective pain relief while I was pregnant,...
  First, unless people prefaced their statements with “for me” or “in many instances,” you were pretty much lied to. That’s what I’ve concluded about all of the terrible and irrelevant advice I received about labor and what people insist on describing as “recovery.” Maybe that sounds harsh, but there’s no other way for me to make sense of what I was told. And I too was absolutely convinced I could manage an intervention-free labor, but there was nothing in my books...
  It’s both infuriating and all too common. When I lived in a university town in the Midwest, I heard about this with a good bit of frequency. My African-American boss traveled with her daughter’s birth certificate and other records so that she could prove that her blond child was indeed her adoptive daughter. Someone called the police when she and her daughter stopped for lunch at a restaurant while driving to a conference in the South. Locals also had a knack for...
  Thank you all for your kind responses. I’ve already been through physical therapy. It did help with isolating and strengthening my abdominal muscles so that I could resume some of my normal activities. The symphysis pain is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but PT certainly hasn’t gotten me to the point that I can go hiking again or climb into a canoe. And the random midwife who saw me at my 6-weeks postpartum visit already reminded me about my weight, as if I...
  After losing track of how many medical professionals I've seen, I have one nagging question: Can I really be only mother who hates her body because it just doesn’t work anymore? I don’t care how it looks. I don’t have the energy to care about that. Since giving birth almost nine months ago with nearly every intervention but the caesarean, I feel as if my body is ruined. My joints ache. My hips still hurt and don’t work properly. When I sit and stand, I still can feel...