or Connect

Posts by Jen Muise

I shop for most of my spices and baking supplies at Bulk Barn.  I like the reduced packaging, and I like that I can get any quantity that suits me.  It sucks buying 5$ of a spice for a specific recipe only to find out that no one likes it!  At bulk barn (or other natural food stores) I can get how much I need for 0.25 or so usually.  Often organic or harder to find grains and products are there at very good prices as well, where the local chain supermarket charges a...
Please enter me!
This might be too mild to help, but it has big effects on some people.  Have you tried warm milk, with or without anice?  Something happens to the lactose in milk when you heat it that makes us sleepy.  I used to put a star of anice in the bottom of the cup as I warmed the milk in the microwave, he liked the taste and it helps with nightmares and peaceful sleeping too.  But just plain warm milk does it as well.    Also, tv has been shown to cause wakefulness.  We...
Some kids have ear infections that have few or no symptoms, but the fluid interferes with them being able to understand speech.  THe book "When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder " http://www.amazon.ca/When-Brain-Cant-Hear-Unraveling/dp/0743428641 discusses this and other sources of speech disorders, altho of course the main focus is on CAPD and its various impacts on people. 
just wanted to add that nightwaking and falling asleep can be related to apnea - my doc gave us nasonex to use and it really helped.  If you notice snoring at all, you might want to get it checked out - it is quite common especially in kids with tonsils.
I'd also come up with medals and certificates, maybe have a talent contest (warn kids on the invitation so they have an idea of something they can do) - everyone could be the world's best something.   Could do a multiple choice quiz  - how many bees did xxx have on their face to win the world record bee beard? etc.  Decor could be gold medal themed. hang red white and blue streamers from gold balloons with #1 written on them to mimic medals.  Wrap a vase in tinfoil to...
I would probably make the "world's longest cake" (or your city's longest cake) - just cut a sheet cake or 2 into strips, and have it stretch from one end of the table  to another.   For goodie bags, I'd write a record on a sticker and attach it to something related.  So a cookie might have the record for the world's biggest chocolate cookie; a toy car might have the landspeed record on it;  a jump rope to try and beat the longest jump rope record etc. 
Peony - What do you do with the misplaced anger?  I'm at my wit's end with this kid.  She had a 75+ minute meltdown this morning because everyone wanted buttermilk pancakes but her, I wouldn't make her a seperate batch and she didn't want the ones made with her favorite recipe that were in the freezer.  She can be the brightest ray of sunshine, she can light up a room if she's happy, but nothing can chase away those storm clouds if she's unhappy, bored or not being...
My 7yo hates one of our baby sitters.  Idk why.  She doesn't know why.  She says her body just tells her to hate him.   My 9 yo has no problem with him, and can't come up with any theories about what might be wrong.  She has been upset with other sitters, but not to this degree.  This kid is a great kid, he's experienced and has been an occasional sitter with us for years.  He volunteers at his church to help with the kids, got an award for a credit he earned as a...
Go with 2 hrs, you will find that is plenty.  If everyone is doing well, people will probably hang out for a bit after anyways.  I always keep some carrot sticks or watermelon out so that kids can snack as they want, and generally provide a bunch of finger food buffet style for lunch.  Have a few games in your back pocket in case things need more organization - toilet tag is always popular here, or soccer sharks (basically keep away with a few soccer balls - all but one...