or Connect

Posts by LitMom

This is almost exactly what happened to me. Apparently it's fairly common. Got married, GA tested for Rubella before you could get a marriage license. No immunity. Got MMR. Got ready to have first kid, had tests done, low immunity. Got MMR again (before I got pregnant). Hospital apparently tested when she was born. Low immunity. Shot yet again. 3 years later, got pregnant with second child. Got tested... Said, "Let me guess. Low immunity?" Was told, "Nope. Your titers are...
Until I had my second child, monsieur-up-with-the-sun, yes. I worked in publishing, with late morning start times and often late working hours. Then I worked freelance, where people liked the fact that they could give me something at 5pm and I'd do it overnight and have it in their email inbox at 9am. I can see how that would feel a bit like magic for an overworked manager. It's a little like the Shoemaker's Elves.    Now, I can't really. He's up. He wakes up his big...
Fascinating! We homeschool, and we have the Dec. 31st cutoff here. Although DS "should be" in First Grade this year according to public school calendar, we opted to register him as a homeschooling Kindergartener. We had two real reasons: He wasn't ready for first grade work. And the private school we would send him to in the future if we decide to stop homeschooling, would consider him a Kindergartener this year. Supplementarily, it's nice to know that the Dec. 31st cutoff...
I do wonder if there's something developmental at this age. I have a 6 year old boy as well, and he's acting similarly as well. He's actually fine when it's just him and adults, or him and children his age/his friends, but he is having a very hard time when I'm talking to other adults or when his big sister is talking to her friends.    I'm afraid I don't have any other advice, just commiseration. We are working on getting him more sleep, as he's an early riser and I see...
9 and 6 homeschoolers. Younger in bed by 8 (early riser). Older in bed by 8:30 and often reads til 9 (late riser).
Typically, you cannot pick and choose some vaccines with public school admission. You can get a waiver in most states, against all vaccines; or you can get the required vaccinations. I don't think any states allow waivers from only certain vaccines.    Some private schools don't require vaccines. Some private schools allow no waivers. It's up to them.   Required vaxes also depends on the age of the child. Typically, flu isn't required, only recommended. Chicken pox is...
Lots of science and craft kits would work in that time frame too, or do them over one or two days. We've gone to Michael's craft store and explored their bargain bins. Last time we ended up with a make your own solar system model set, a kit to build a solar powered dog figurine, shrinky dink jewelry, and a tile potholder kit. We have done all except the solar system model and most have been easy and fun!
I think it's completely weird, particularly since it's not like they ran out of food or drink, which does happen on accident at times. Not realize how much other kids might eat as compared to your own. Just switch to more snacks, and problem solved. I can see not having something like soda at a party drink-wise, just like at some adult parties there's no alcohol. But there should always be something! Lemonade, fruit juice, etc. The "no fridge water" is really really...
Also depends on what he means by teaching written language. You can certainly point out letters, and if the kid's not interested in the moment, just drop it. "Hey, that's a "B!" That letter is in your name too!," just like you might say "Hey, look! A train! Cool! You have toy trains at home too, but this is a big one!" Etc. I don't really see the big problem in this, although I think most kids are not going to get excited about it. Likewise with the foam mat kind of...
I don't think it has anything to do with vax status either. It's usually stuff like colds and flu that get passed around on trains and planes. I wipe down the seat arms and tray tables with sanitary wipes after we're seated. I often turn off the recycled air vents too, but I don't like the feel of them as well as the fact that they seem likely to be germ factories. Regular vitamins, sleep, and hand washing too. We've done that and gotten sick on 2 trips, but not on 10ish...