or Connect

Posts by LitMom

We did public school pre-K, and then homeschool Kindergarten with our oldest child. We figured we would then feel that we had tried both and could make a more clear decision. What we found was that homeschool worked better for all of us. (My daughter was/is introverted as well.) And if it hadn't worked, all we'd have "lost" was a year of kindergarten, which in our state isn't mandatory and many kids enter first grade without it.    It was much easier to get out of...
I wouldn't have gone without it, personally. But why is it so expensive? Is it central air?   I guess I might have considered something less costly as a stopgap measure for a summer or two, like one or two window Acs, maybe even used for less cost. In my experience, those are a few hundred rather than a few thousand, plus increased electric, but not thousands worth. That way a few rooms could be cooled and you spend most of the time in those rooms in the summer. 
The big groups I know here are NYCHEA and HomeschoolNY. There are smaller groups as well, but if you join those two, there are lots of posts about groups forming, park get togethers, and such.   http://nychea.org/   http://homeschoolnyc.com/ 
  In my state, you have to have a masters to teach, or you have to be conditionally accepted while you work toward your masters, which is common as the state/city pay for some portion of your schooling if you commit to teach for a certain number of years after you earn the masters. Now, I've never been a classroom teacher, but I have a Masters in Education. It's irrelevant 95% of the time, and when it is relevant, it's for things like field trips and scouts, not teaching...
I suggest offering less choices on snacks actually. If she stares at everything in the fridge but can't choose something, maybe there are too many options when she's too hungry?   When my youngest weaned, we started having granola bars in the house to ward off morning grumpy and "too hungry to eat or figure out what to eat" phenomena. If he is up before me (usually is), he eats a granola bar when he gets up. This isn't breakfast, it's just to get his blood sugar up...
I didn't see paper towels, zip locks, aluminum foil, light bulbs, and trash bags on your list. Even if you do reusable most of the time, some plastic bags and paper towels on hand will make things easier.   Bandaids, Sunscreen and bug repellant if you use them.   Vinegar and olive oil are good staples all around for kitchen and cleaning/body care (Olive oil helps my kids' eczema.)    Herbs in planters are a nice thing to have.    If you have pets,...
DH and I both changed our names to a hyphenated one when we got married. No big deal, didn't cost anything. It's not a hassle very often, but we do live in a big city with many more unusual names than ours. Even hyphenated, it's 3 syllables and 11 letters, which doesn't seem terribly unwieldy to me. I do tell people its hyphenated before I start spelling. Computer systems that don't take hyphens take it as all one name without an issue, and it fits on most forms and such....
We did this for night weaning, but moving our older child to her own bed was similar: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html We also went to "dad only" at bedtime and night wakings. That might be less of an issue with a weaned child.
  In a death penalty kind of case though, I think it is often a need to know that the person can't come after one's family or oneself though. Life often means a certain number of years, and then the possibility of parole. The victims families are going to have to keep going to hearings to testify to keep the perpetrator from getting out on parole, and if a family member had been murdered or seriously injured and I'd testified against them, I would definitely worry that...
This sort of thing is largely why we moved homes. The kids needed their own spaces to do as they like. We have a rule now that if you want to do something without anyone bugging you, you need to do it in your own room. (People can share small spaces and still get alone time and space, as I well know, from living in 600 square feet with 4 people for 5 years, but... there are limits to it.) So first off, to ward off this happening in the future, DD would be directed to do...