or Connect

Posts by LitMom

I didn't see paper towels, zip locks, aluminum foil, light bulbs, and trash bags on your list. Even if you do reusable most of the time, some plastic bags and paper towels on hand will make things easier.   Bandaids, Sunscreen and bug repellant if you use them.   Vinegar and olive oil are good staples all around for kitchen and cleaning/body care (Olive oil helps my kids' eczema.)    Herbs in planters are a nice thing to have.    If you have pets,...
DH and I both changed our names to a hyphenated one when we got married. No big deal, didn't cost anything. It's not a hassle very often, but we do live in a big city with many more unusual names than ours. Even hyphenated, it's 3 syllables and 11 letters, which doesn't seem terribly unwieldy to me. I do tell people its hyphenated before I start spelling. Computer systems that don't take hyphens take it as all one name without an issue, and it fits on most forms and such....
We did this for night weaning, but moving our older child to her own bed was similar: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html We also went to "dad only" at bedtime and night wakings. That might be less of an issue with a weaned child.
  In a death penalty kind of case though, I think it is often a need to know that the person can't come after one's family or oneself though. Life often means a certain number of years, and then the possibility of parole. The victims families are going to have to keep going to hearings to testify to keep the perpetrator from getting out on parole, and if a family member had been murdered or seriously injured and I'd testified against them, I would definitely worry that...
This sort of thing is largely why we moved homes. The kids needed their own spaces to do as they like. We have a rule now that if you want to do something without anyone bugging you, you need to do it in your own room. (People can share small spaces and still get alone time and space, as I well know, from living in 600 square feet with 4 people for 5 years, but... there are limits to it.) So first off, to ward off this happening in the future, DD would be directed to do...
I have a question with the mold issue, actually. Why would it grow mold? Is this usually a problem with mattresses but not mattress atop box springs because the box springs allow air flow? A particular part of the country or weather or part of a building? I can see like a basement apartment or something maybe, but I've never heard of mattresses growing mold before, regardless of bed frame or lack thereof. I feel like I knew lots of people using box spring on the floor...
We had our bed on the floor, well, until we did a custom bed where no one could fall out of it without making a concerted effort! But, we had the regular height beds in hotels and relatives houses. I didn't find that the kids fell out a lot in those places, but it did happen and I did try to minimize it. I imagine for some people there's a space issue, so if you have a fancy or family-passed-down bed, you might not have a place to store it if it's not in use, and yet,...
You can still have an 8 year old fly as unaccompanied minor for extra fees and supervision by flight attendants. I know people who have done that to send kids to grandparents.    My grandmother and aunt used to put clothespins on our tongues for saying bad words. Although, they were well used clothes pins and I don't recall it being particularly painful. Mostly it was I guess supposed to be humiliating that you had to walk around with a clothespin on your tongue and...
DD is getting a doll bed. She's decided her dolls are too grown up for the doll cradle.    DS is getting a science kit and a fishing game for the bathtub, which is quite cute with little wooden "fishing rods" and ducks with little holes so you can pick them up with the hooks.    We just did a big clothes shop, and they are also getting skiing lift tickets and gear. 
I believe there was something with MDC being bought out by someone mainstream, and they made a big push to get new people on the site, which of course, meant mostly trolls. I was here 7-8 years ago until I guess 18 months ago, left for a year, and came back with a new screen name. It was really different when I started, although UC was never a place I hung out personally. Most boards that were non-mainstream--vax, UC, unschooling--have taken a big hit in readership and...