or Connect

Posts by summerlake

I spoke with the doctor, and she just switched the prescription to adderall XR 5 mg and said to mix it in applesauce or yogurt. I'm not sure if that's supposed to ease the upset stomach and nausea that DD was experiencing or what.   DD may just be very sensitive to this type of medication. We will attempt to take the Adderall this weekend. I just can't send her off to school feeling so terrible and/or not knowing what the effects will be. We'll see how it goes. I...
We have just finished our first day of ADHD medication and it was a ROUGH one. I would sincerely appreciate support or advice. I have a thread i created earlier that explained our sitzuation, Dd was recently diagnosed with adhd inattentive and dyslexia. The only problem we have really, and it is becoming a really big problem at school, is that she can't read well. Her fluency is terrible. The dr. Recommended treating the ADHD to see if we can take that off the table as an...
Thank you for all of the input. DD's physician recommended putting her on a low dose of vyvanse to take the ADHD out of the equation to see if it helps. We will give it a try, but I'm not crazy about the idea. If she doesn't feel good we'll take her off of it and maybe see if behavioral therapy will help.    I did consider the option of getting one of the Barton System or Linda Mood-Bell kits to work with her at home, but I'm really not the best teacher and work...
Well, we did get a formal diagnosis of ADHD-Inattentive and Dyslexia. I'm bummed with the dyslexia diagnosis, it looks like we've got a long road ahead of us with that. I was given a brochure for a great tutor for children with dyslexia, and that seems to be the only intervention available for dyslexia. She recommended we come in 3 hours a week and it looks like it is going to be quite an investment. Does anyone know if there is aid or any kind of financial help for...
      This is a big problem for us right now. We're working with a teacher who is either doing the bare minimum or nothing at all. It's almost easier to go through a contact in administration and have our concerns and needs dictated through them. I know a parent like me who is new to this process is probably pretty annoying but I'm so sick of having to advocate for common sense.    For instance: Early this semester we (parents and school admin) reduced her reading level...
My almost 9yo DD's main issue is her reading fluency terrible and we have not been able to find out why. She is currently reading at less than 30 words per minute, very haltingly and with many long pauses. She was screened for "processing" last year through school, and it showed that she did have some vision processing disorders. At that point she was still able to function at grade level (2nd grade) though our concerns were rising.   We kind of jumped the gun and...
We did some fact-finding before I spoke with either of the girls, we checked the youtube history on each of their ipods. My older daughter's ipod was clean, several Little Mermaid videos. My younger daughter.....I can't even. Her youtube history was filled with about ten to twelve videos that were even worse than I had on my phone. I was absolutely shocked. This was with all of the age appropriate restrictions set.    I spoke with my younger daughter, she denied it,...
Hello, I recently changed my email and my Mothering username, but have been lurking on this site for many years. I really appreciate your input and am hoping some of you mamas can help me.   This morning I went on my youtube app on my iphone and saw that an extremely inappropriate search was in the search bar. I was in the car with the kids at the time and said the search out loud. I asked if they put it in, and they kind of giggled, but I let it go because it wasn't...