or Connect

Posts by Moonridden

Thank you for the replies and the links. Sorry it's been so long since I checked in. I decided that, ultimately, I'm not comfortable having it some prenatally. I picked up the Sears vaccine book yesterday, to try and help me figure out a vax schedule for the baby once she's born, and was surprised to see there was a chapter on adult vaccines as well. He said that he wasn't comfortable endorsing having it done during pregnancy, because of lack of research, and that sort of...
I've had them drawn and I don't have immunity to that or rubella. =-/ I intend to get the vaccination done, and I'm really not looking for the non-vax point of view, tbh, although I definitely understand it. I'm just struggling with the decision to have it done now, during pregnancy, or after I deliver. I know there's a difference in transplacental sharing of immunities (and risk factors) and immunities and risk factors of just passing it on through breast milk, but I'm...
JenVose - thanks for taking the time to make a thoughtful comment. It was very helpful! Cyclamen, you said If you don't like the way they treat you before labor, a birth plan will probably not improve anything for you during labor, kwim? and Screen you doctor or midwife - even if you have medicaid, you are hiring them. Understood, but I have tricare insurance and will be giving birth in a very large army hospital in the south. That might give you a rough idea what I'm...
Hi, all I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my third kiddo and have no choice but to have this one in a hospital. My CNM and OB are both really pushing the TDaP vaccine. I was supposed to get it last week, but I'm still researching (with minimal luck) and trying to decide if I will get it during this third trimester or if it would be better to wait until after I have the baby. ANY information you wish to share would be helpful, especially links with (as close as possible to)...
YES. God, yes. Two kids with special needs, so it's kind of hard for me to empathize with people who bitch incessantly about normal, developmentally appropriate kid behavior. Everyone has struggles, I know. And maybe if I weren't accustomed to my own life, I'd be upset by these same things. I never say anything, and I commiserate non-commitslly. Then I go home and tell my husband all about it and we have a good laugh.
Eye contact is listed under "social behavior skills" in my son's ABA paperwork, but we didn't choose it as one of the goals to focus on. There are a lot of things that we have tackled and are continuing to work on, and eye contact was not one I ever really felt was a priority. We encourage my son to try and remember to at least look in the direction of someone he's talking to, or to look up from his drawings or iPod when he's having a conversation, but direct eye contact,...
My son is also 8, and he was autism and ADHD (among other things). His dev ped put him on Vayarin this December, and it has made a profound difference in his behavior! He has never been on stimulants so I can't compare the two, but I know that within 3-4 weeks of starting Vayarin, the results were pretty remarkable. He still requires fairly frequent redirection while doing school work, but it has improved his focus, helped him to be less combative, improved overall mood...
hippy mum - I am not planning an induction, no. I intend to birth naturally and hopefully be in the hospital as little as possible. I'm just trying to plan for as many eventualities as possible and get my preferences written down. In this particular case, I'm just not sure what is better for augmentation, the AROM or pitocin. Katie - that's good to know re: easier to reposition baby with intact membranes, thank you.
Hi, all   In the middle of trying to write my birth plan (for a hospital birth), and I'm working on what I would like to see happen if labor stalls or stops and needs augmentation.  I'm opting for natural methods first, but I would like to have something down if further interventions are necessary.  What's the major flaw with having membranes artificially ruptured?  I see in a lot of sample birth plans that state that they do not want their waters artificially...
It's absolutely common here. I'm not just in the South, but in a military town in the South. The kids in public school are all taught to address their teachers as ma'am (or sir, not that there's a plethora of make teachers here). I hear kids call their parents sir/ma'am all the time. I am originally from WA state, so the whole thing seems ridiculous and antiquated to me. Also, I HATE being called ma'am. HATE IT.