or Connect

Posts by Moonridden

IEPs, YES. IEPs are another really good reason to have a diagnosis. Even if in a 'regular' classroom, an IEP is very helpful to have (if your daughter is indeed on the spectrum, or if she has other LDs or emotional/behavioral issues). Without one, you just have to hope you have a good, understanding teacher. With one, your child's needs are laid out clearly and there are repercussions if it's not followed. Same with a behavioral intervention plan: behavior that would get a...
What ring sling is your favorite, and why? Gathering up baby stuff for this time around. Last time I had a ring sling (years ago), it was one a friend had made. I'm sort of looking into a Maya wrap this time around, but wanted to hear some recommendations before I bought one. I've got a Beco Butterfly 2 and a Moby Wrap, already ... but can you ever really have too many carriers?
Glad it was taken in the spirit intended and not as an affront. =) It depends on how your insurance works, but likely you'd need to have a referral from a family doctor/GP to a developmental pediatrician. Then again, possibly not. If that we're the case, I'd suggest taking your daughter to your GP along with a written list of your concerns and telling him/her that you'd like her to be seen by a developmental pediatrician. I also suggest that you contact your local autism...
As for IQ tests picking on Aspergers, no, not necessarily. ASDs are developmental and don't always affect intelligence. Lots of kids on the spectrum test poorly, but not all of them. Plenty of kids with Aspergers are little brainiacs. Since ASDs *are-* developmental, they're best diagnosed by someone who specializes in pediatric development (like a developmental pediatrician). Definitely not a school. Having her evaluated isn't really risking anything. I could see if it...
Uh, no. The only regret I had was not pushing for my son to be diagnosed and evaluated earlier. We're not talking about a kid receiving medical interventions of arguable necessity. Look at it this way: it takes mental, emotional and developmental 'tools' to get through life. Kids on the spectrum need special help finding and learning how to use these tools. Early intervention can make a world of difference for people with ASDs. Without a diagnosis, you don't get the...
Hey all =) Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I met with my doula and we discussed it again, and I ended up going with "I do not convent to use of forceps during delivery; I would prefer to have a cesarean if it becomes medically necessary." I'm not positive I'll go with that exact wording, but I've got a while to figure it out. Thankfully, my doula has had many years' experience and has a good rapport with...
Thank you for your input! This all makes a lot of sense. I'll look for the article you refer to.
Hi, all I haven't been on these forums in a while - I lost two pregnancies in a row and took a break from forums - but I am 21 weeks pregnant right now, and working on my birth plan, and I've got a question. I met with a doula on Monday to decide whether I wanted to hire her (I do). We got started talking about the hospital where I'll be birthing, and apparently the hospital is great in a lot of ways, and has a very low cesarean rate. That's great! She did caution me,...
I updated everywhere else that I had posted this, but apparently I forgot to update here. I lost the baby after all. My OB wanted me to come in again for one last look to determine everything was okay - we all expected it to be, after seeing the hb - so I went back on Monday 6 August, and the heart was no longer beating ... in fact, all we saw was a collapsing sac. I didn't make any choices at that point. But went back in two days later to confirm. It really is gone. I...
I went back in for yet another ultrasound today, and his time, they found the heartbeat!  They measured me at 6w6d. They're having me come back in for one more a week from today, but they're optimistic now. =). I have officially been put in the clinic's system as viably pregnant, I have m first OB appointment on Thursday, and I have a printed picture of a little sea monkey. Stuff is looking much, much brighter!