or Connect

Posts by glassesgirlnj

Nice to meet you and to have another male-identified father/nanny/nurse on the forums! 
wishin' and Bigfoot, is that Field Roast the one you can get at Whole Foods?  I don't like to shop there much, for a number of reasons, but they are very convenient to my office...   Also, wishin', I love that high protein menu!  (I am not currently pregnant, but I have mild PCOS, so I try to eat insane amounts of protein at each meal.)   mrsandmrs, that is incredibly scary!  I would definitely follow up with a letter to Target corporate, and cc: the manager of...
Yeah, I mean A says her mamamamas, dadadadas, and bababababas, but the only world she seems to associate with a specific meaning is "guh", which she uses for pictures of girls in board books, and also to point to herself.   She's a real Harpo Marx when it comes to non-verbal communication, though... plenty of eye contact, facial expressions, clapping, pointing, bringing us books to read to her (all day long), etc.    TalkToMeNow, my spouse is a vegetarian and...
Some people here already know about the difficulties I had trying to nurse and with supplementing.  If not, I can fill you in.   I liked Seraf's comment on focusing on what we can change about our own parenting styles, rather than what others are doing!  (Personally, I've been trying to slow down and spend more one-on-one time with A at the end of the day, rather than attemping to get a million chores done around the house...)   Oh, and edited to add that A is an...
Love Kate!  I had the privilege of taking a full weekend workshop with her and her partner.  And we went to the same undergrad school!   :ahem: Now back to the actual topic...
Right, and then we get into the definitions of "man" and "woman", "male" and "female" - which have totally been mediated and socially constructed across cultures and over time.  It's not as simple as "these are the facts", "this is just how nature works", etc etc - we're no longer capable of viewing these things through a "pure" perspective, if indeed we ever were.   Like I said in another thread: read a couple pages of Kate Bornstein (or Leslie Feinberg, or...),...
There are definitely plenty of AP moms around here!  Most of the ones I know personally live in Brooklyn or in Northern NJ (we're very close to the Maplewood/Montclair/South Orange area).  But I would look in Jackson Heights, maybe, or Astoria/LIC... those areas were getting more "crunchified"   at the time we left.   I've also found a nice thing about New Yorkers (and near-to-New-Yorkers) is that they don't get up in your business - Queens is especially good for...
Seraf, that's adorable!  And Shay has so much hair!