or Connect

Posts by glassesgirlnj

Becky, I don't think people here are "lecturing" you, but rather expressing concern about your family and your financial situation.  If you can't afford a home pregnancy test or a thermometer, what options will you have if you get pregnant again?    You post here under your real name (I think), and I know there are people in other parts of the Internet who are sleuthing what town you live in.  I'm sure you can figure why they're doing this.  Please make the right...
What's involved in initiation? Is that to convert or for the junior priestess status? Sorry for butchering the language.   There are three different degrees of initiation, or "kanzo" - "sinp" (simple), which is basically to introduce you to the religion; "si pwen" (on point), which gives you the right to assist at ceremonies; and "asogwe" (doesn't have a translation b/c it's an archaic West African word), which gives you the right to lead ceremonies of your own. Si pwen...

If you feel comfortable sharing, I would be interested to know if animal sacrifice is still common within the religion?...Also, I remember reading about the idea of spirits inhabiting bodies- like trances- and the idea of zombies...   Our societe gives animals to the spirits VERY rarely - maybe a couple of times a year. Since most of our ceremonies take place in Brooklyn, Queens, or other urban areas, chickens or kid goats are most common. The animals are groomed and...
What drew you to voodoo?
As the full-time WOH spouse, I really try to pay attention when I hear some of you other moms wishing your spouses would do more!   I try to spend some time playing with A every night (we had a lovely walk in the garden as the sun was setting yesterday). I also do the grocery shopping on my way home from work, and I take care of any needs my mom has, helping her get ready for bed, etc. Oh yes, and then there's tidying up in the wake of Hurricane Annamaria... and making...
Yeah, regarding special diets - my spouse is a pescetarian, and I'm a flexitarian (happy to go for days, or even a whole week, without eating meat. I was pretty cranky when I gave it up for Lent, though). A is an omnivore as only a toddler can be, and my mom follows a very old-school meat-and-potatoes SAD, which we prepare for her. I always think about the "theory of prior investment" when it comes to GAPS, or paleo, or raw vegan, or whatever - some people (NOT all)...
Escaping, it sounds like you do get some time with this child without his parents around ("they'll leave him with anyone", "we've all watched him", etc). What happens when you tell the parents "wow, he really seemed to like it today when I XYZ - maybe you could try it at home!" Do they just ignore you? Have they *ever* taken *any* of your suggestions, and if so, how were those suggestions worded?   I guess it comes down to, do you think these people are well-meaning but...
  Looks like it's been closed/locked to new posts for several months, but thanks for doing the research for me, anyhow!