or Connect

Posts by glassesgirlnj

Interesting- J. had a bit of yellow in his eyes and my mother was telling me he would die of jaundice and dehydration, but I just kept breastfeeding him.  Who alerted you to the problem?   In this case, my pediatrician had some bloodwork ordered (so traumatic watching your 4-day-old n00b's heel scraped ), and then she called me that night with the test results.  Her call came up as "Private Number" (which I usually let go to voicemail), and she did not leave a number...
I am also annoyed by the gendering of EVERYTHING baby related, even things like SPOONS. We have to make sure that "girls" only use pastel spoons, and "boys" only use spoons in bright colors? Seriously?!?!?   My daughter has a lot of "boy's clothing" - I buy most of her stuff secondhand and the boys' items are often cheaper. That being said, I'm mostly talking about camo, denim, plaids, and stripes, so maybe those are more "gender neutral" clothes? ...She doesn't wear...
Probably the most SFW thing would be getting initiated into Haitian Vodou -- well, lots of Haitians have done that, but it isn't so common for a non-Haitian. And we've kept as many as 10 snakes at one time, though I see purplerose has me beat on that one. (Incidentally, purplerose, I would love to hear more about your reptile rescue!)
  Bolding mine because I wanted to touch on this... I come from a middle-class family (first one to go to college), but attended a school with mostly upper-middle-class kids.   I have friends who have trust funds and never need to work a day in their lives if they don't want to.  I also have friends who are on public assistance.  Each situation has its own unique strengths and challenges.   My spouse and I are also in the position of looking for more friends who are...
I would be interested in this as well!  My mom is 74, but uses a wheelchair due to severe RA.  My daughter is 16 months old.    We all live in the same house - keeping a space toddler-proofed and wheelchair-accessible at the same time is sometimes quite a challenge!
  Of course! But I don't think I have the resources to research that, for example, a huge university like Columbia, Pitt or UMDNJ does.   It would be arrogant for me to assume that my little Googling fingers could equal 8 years of med school, internship, residency, etc.   And I would like it if my health plan (or even my FSA) covered more "alternatives", but they often don't.  (I'm currently trying to get my FSA to pay for yoga classes - let's see what happens...
  ...which is wonderful!  I'd like to hear more about the techniques that you found helpful.   For myself, I'm coming from a background where my family was frequently uninsured or underinsured, and even when we did have insurance, going to the doctor was often seen as "a waste of money" or "looking for attention."  :/  I'm THRILLED that I now have my own job, with my own (pretty good) health plan, and that I can share the privilege of preventative care (which yes,...
 It is completely relevant - it is your body.   Well, sure, and it's my Honda Accord; but I'm going to take it to my mechanic to get it checked out, rather than trying to do the job myself with Google and an "Autos for Dummies" book...     Using western medicine should not be an all or nothing plan.   We probably agree here!  My issue is, how do we know where to draw that line, even for ourselves?  ...The answer to that question might be different for...