or Connect

Posts by VBACmama4

I've had good and bad experiences with midwives, some have lied to me about safety factors because they were afraid to have poor outcomes and possibly damage their reputation with the hospitals they were affiliated with. Some have been absolutely fabulous and willing to work with me no matter what, only to later drop me like a hot potato when I went past my "due date". And still some have been professional, honest and knowledgeable and helped me reach my VBAC goals. It's...
I don't think asking an OB to discuss the birth of your baby at any point during your pregnancy is asking them to predict the future, and it also isn't asking them for permission. If there's no presenting medical complications then any OB has an obligation to answer patients question to the best of their ability. It's not a matter of predicting the outcome, it's a matter of discussing the best and safest route to the outcome the patient hopes for and giving the patient...
When my first baby was born I used to have nightmares all the time.. it was 11 years ago but I remember them like I was watching a horror movie. In these dreams, I would forget to feed him, or forget he was in the house and leave. It was so disturbing that I thought something was seriously wrong with me. After a few months it subsided and I learned what a great mom I am, so it got better for me. But I'll tell ya.. I have 4 children now and the fear that something could...
Wait as long as you can before you go to the hospital. Unless your water is broken for an extended period of time your baby is not in danger due to vaginal strep. You can easily treat it at home, here's a link: http://thecontrarianmom.com/2010/09/10/group-b-strep-simple-treatments-for-group-b-strep/ .   As far as uterine rupture, EFM only detects the possibility of rupture if the baby's heart rate decelerates, which can happen for other reasons and often leads to...
Sorry, forgot to mention, a VBAC rate of 2% is absolutely pitiful! A hospital that is supportive of VBAC should have at least a 25% success rate and some are as high as 75%. I've had 3 myself, and I know midwives who have 90-99% success rates. 
In my personal experience, anytime an OB stalls in explaining or seems skeptical about the possibility of having a VBAC, it's a huge red flag. I have had 3 VBAC's and every time I had to change doctors at least once because of all of them started off telling me it was something they'd "consider" and at some point told me I'd need to be induced, consider repeat CS, etc even though I have never had a single complication during pregnancy. I learned as much as I could about...
Just wanted to chime in.. First, I hope your pregnancy has continued on healthy and happy! Second, I had a CS in '01 due to a failed induction, 12 hours with hideous pitocin contractions and finally my teeny little doctor came in and told me (5'11" and made for giving birth) that she would need to "take" my baby because I wasn't progressing, 12 hours was too long and having a CS was nothing to be ashamed of - hell, she herself had 3 elective CS's! Gee, I guess that makes...
This reply is late, sorry about that but just FYI, yes, the no VBAC rule at MD General applies to everyone unless they have express prior permission from the Labor and Delivery Director himself. I had a CS in '01, VBAC water birth at a birth center in '02, another VBAC in '10 and MD General STILL told me no on the tub birth! They wouldn't even consent to letting me labor in the tub until they "saw how I was handling it", as though I were a first time mother with no track...
I understand how victimized, weak and angry you probably feel. I remember those feelings well even though my CS was over 11 years ago. I managed to have VBAC's since then but I literally had to fight tooth and nail and still had to give in to procedures that were in no way necessary, nor a part of my birth plan, but were performed regardless for the sake of saving the worst case scenario. It's very sad that women are considered just a vessel in the eyes of a profession...
Congratulations!!! So happy that you are both happy and healthy, and that you DID IT!! Good job Mama!!