or Connect

Posts by Hoopin' Mama

The biggest thing that has helped me is meal planning. I plan out every meal and try to have at least one that will produce leftovers. I also try to remember to have a couple of very simple dinners, and I look through the pantry before I make the meal plan to see what I have that can already be used.    I shop with a list and only stray from it if something is on sale and then I'll stock up. I generally shop the farmers market /Trader Joes/Sprouts and I'll pop into Whole...
I think those forms are worded rather severely but I think it's primarily to cover themselves. I don't think you should worry about too much about the form. Doctors have to be used to seeing them at this point. As for the article you linked to, well, I'm not impressed. The man stayed with the ped knowing his policy and then got into a screaming match with him over it. Not saying the Dr. wasn't a jerk, but I"m sure it could have been handled differently for a better...
We eat whole foods with recognizable ingredients, but sometimes I do rely on canned beans, canned red sauce for homemade pizzas, a jar of curry sauce from Trader Joe's, etc.  I also buy tortillas and bread, and I buy raw pizza dough for our pizzas. I just have no desire to get into that level of prep and baking. I would like to learn how to make my own yogurt and get an ice cream machine. . Very, very rarely does our food come out of a box from the freezer. 
Unless using a gift card, which DS gets occasionally for Christmas, we bring our own stuff - water and some small snack. DS isn't too into popcorn. When we use the gift card, DS gets a smoothie and I share with him.   We have an nice local theatre that shows only indie films and classics. Their popcorn is reasonably sized and priced and they sell good drinks, inlcuding microbrews. I buy when I go there and I wouldn't sneak in because they are a treasure and maybe...
We spend about $450 a month for a family of three, one 8-year old. This includes alcoholic beverages, my love for very fine coffee, and ice cream. Every 6 months I also spend approximately $60 on ground beef from the local rancher. The budget does not include toiletries and I'm rather picky about what goes on our skin.   Meal planning has been a HUGE budget saver for me. Also, signing up for deal notifications at Whole Foods has helped. They will have some good...
Hello there.  Been working many hours and hubbie has been doing the meal planning. I'm back at it this weekend though. Tonight is pasta with homemade pesto and a salad, tomorrow is slow cooker ribs with cole slaw. Using leftover pesto for a pizza on Tuesday. I might get creative with the cole slaw and add apples and some curry powder.  Also used some leftover rice for fried rice for lunch today for the first time in a while. I had forgotten what a hit that was with...
Last night we had Sloppy Joe's using the Joy of Cooking recipe. I made a side of summer squash sauteed in butter and then put under the broiler topped with cheddar. It was delicious. tonight we'll do pesto pasta with whatever veggies I feel like adding and maybe some feta cheese.  
Last night we had lasagna rollups that DH made, filled with ricotta cheese and sauteed veggies, and it was delicious. DS had a stomach ache and didn't eat so there is plenty left for leftovers Thursday night.   Tonight we are having super nachos deluxe, basically anything healthy I can put on there - beans, shredded chicken from Sunday's crockpot chicken- with cheese, sour cream, black olives, avocado, and salsa.  
Last night was delicious! DH made a baked chicken and rice dish from a recipe that we got off allrecipes.com, plus some of our own additions. Two layers each of shredded chicken and a creamy sauce made cheese, cream of chicken soup, black olives, and salsa. Sauteed zucchini on the side and fresh tomatoes - both from my friend's garden. Apple crumb cake (store bought) for desert. This fed three adults and one kid and there's enough left for one more meal for 2.  
Well, first I will say that the pork with beer in the crockpot was great, thanks kitchensqueen. I added KC Masterpiece bbq sauce that we had leftover from our last party and it got a big thumbs up from the boys.  It's summer here and school has been out for two weeks. This past week we've been eating mostly pool party food and Chipotle. Not our healthiest week but it's been fun.