or Connect

Posts by Hoopin' Mama

OP - maybe it would help to understand what you are wanting them to be prepared for? For a profession or for social reasons? I guess that's why I'm so confused. Art history is well covered in college. Surely as adults they will mingle with people from many backgrounds and there are so many valuable, esteemed professions that require zero knowledge of a proper table setting. What scenarios are you envisioning?    My ds studied English and philosophy and works in...
  Thank you!!!! I was beginning to think I was transported into an Edith Wharton novel.   And no offense to anyone, but 200k a year does not a Metropolitan Black Tie Hobknobber make.   People who spend their days courting donors - they better be up on local sports, current local events, and know their organization inside and out.   I think the OP just wants her kids to be prepared for things she wasn't. I get that, we all want that for our kids.  Honestly though, I...
I want my child to learn grace, humility, manners, kindness, compassion, confidence, and humor. From that starting point, the rest of the world can be easily navigated. This wouldn't change if we lost it all tomorrow or our income tripled.    We barely meet the income requirements for this thread. I grew up poor and I am professionally and  personally surrounded by people from very wealthy families. They possess many of the qualities I admire (stated above). I want...
I honestly cannot assess this without knowing the families entire situation.   I will say that my Dad just died and his funeral had been prepaid for. My travel expenses cost $1500 and that was without taking my family and only spending TWO nights where the funeral was held. I have three siblings one of whom couldn't come because he simply couldn't afford to do so.   I'm lucky I get 2 days grievance pay. It happened at the end of the year and I had no more paid...
    OP, I agree wtih the idea about Girl Scouts or another group activity. I also know a lot of little girls who take marital arts and I've seen the benefits of that in their confidence levels. It doesn't sound like she is being picked on or anything, just not being sought out. I have been an introvert all my life and I definitely blend into the background pretty easily. Funny, I was just talking about that with my husband and we half-jokingly talked about reading the How...
How in the world do they even know what your 1 month old vaccination schedule currently is? I seriously sense they are just being kind of cruel. How on earth is a newborn in arms going to affect a bunch of vaxed preschoolers? And I vaccinate. No, I would guess that they don't want you at the playgroup but it's easier to kick someone out of a "preschool" with rules than a playgroup. I would continue to send my son to preschool but not otherwise be involved with that...
Sorry. I've seen some ugly things on here that were posted about very sensitive topics as "jokes". Wishing you the best.  
Curious about the OP's limited post history.
BTW, I was responding mostly to this. Hearing comments that your child will get the ADD has got to be very annoying.    
On one hand, I think we definitely do have a flawed healthcare system where Dr.s can be quick to prescribe for the symptoms and not have the time - or are willing to - treat the whole person.  On the other hand, I think it really is best to not judge where others are in their journey. It is not our job to understand what they are going through, suffering from, etc. If they talk about it I think it's best to just say "that sounds difficult" and move on.   We have big...