or Connect

Posts by Margot Dawson

I haven't read through all the posts here- but I wanted to comment.  Is bedsharing safe?  No.  It isn't safe.  But on that note, nothing you do with a baby is 100% safe.  Driving in the car with baby isn't safe.  Walking down the stairs with baby isn't safe.  Even sleeping in a crib alone isn't safe!  Many babies die each year sleeping "safely" in their cribs.   When we follow certain rules we as parents can make our babies' activities safer (when bedsharing, in the...
I haven't read all the responses yet, but this kind of thing is so child dependent, in my opinion.  You just have to know your own child (which I'm sure you do!).  No matter what age other parents or scientists think one thing or another is ok, it ultimately boils don to the individual child and the family's values.  My 7 yo son cries during those awfully sad ASPCA commercials and we have to turn them off.  He also cries during the "Mom locked up and cuddling baby" scene...
Interesting article!  Apparently I am not the only one...      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/fashion/differences-over-parenting-can-break-often-just-erode-friendships.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&ref=style
I am sooo glad we had this discussion when we did.  One of my good friends, who I was particularly disappointed with for having FF, just told me in tears that her baby may have autism and is being screened for it soon.  I feel like if we hadn't had this discussion when we did, I would have had a mix of inappropriate feelings.  I'm in a place now where I don't feel like it was her fault at all, or mine. She loves her little guy so much and did the best for him that she...
    I don't think its ironic for my feelings and observations to, at times, be at odds, no.  I'm not trying to win an argument here, I'm just discussing my feelings.  I'm not an extremest, just a normal human being. I have come to the conclusion that I have allowed myself to be brainwashed by some pro-breastfeeding rhetoric into feeling like formula is much worse than it is.  I'm sure its a perfectly fine choice.   This thread, despite all the negativity, has helped me...
    I wouldn't feel offended at all if you said that.  Why would I feel angry for someone feeling sorry that I didn't get good sleep?? That's a nice thing- to feel sorry for someone else's difficulty.  I would say, "thanks, yeah, it was tough."  Wouldn't it be nice if you could get the benefits of EBF and co-sleeping without all the hardships. That's a personal choice we all make.  Its natural to believe the choice you make is the right one at the time, otherwise you...
      Yeah, I have been thinking of it as basically poison, or junk food.  Because of the statistics I have been reading.     It seems that I have made a lot of ladies on here pretty angry.  I'd just like to point out that I'm talking about my personal feelings here.  I have never, not once, gave even so much as an unapproving glance at strangers who are FF, nor have I expressed my disappointment or anger to my FF friends.  I was supportive and compassionate toward my...
Am I brainwashed by sites like this?  http://thebabybond.com/InfantDeaths.html   http://www.lactivist.com/dangform.html http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/infant-formula/   Is it possible that I have been "scare-tacticed" into breastfeeding and now I feel like FF is way worse than it actually is?  Maybe I was.  My DH, mom, and lots of other healthy folks I know were FF'd...
It is super unfair of me to project my judgments on other moms.  That's kind of why I asked the question in the start of this thread.  Do you guys jusdge other parents at all for any of their parenting choices?  Please don't infer here that I'm saying FF is akin to corporal punishment, but they are both parenting choices, so...  Do you judge parents who make the parenting choice of beating their kids when they are naughty?  I'm willing to bet most of us do.  But why?...
Ladies, this thread has helped me quite a bit.  I just had a long talk with my DH, and I came to the realization that I feel the way that I feel because of my own anger and regret toward myself for not doing MY best with my first son.  I feel like if I don't convince my friends to BF, and then something bad happens to their baby (SIDS, allergies, autism, anything even remotely connected to not BF'ing) then it will be my fault.  My fault for having the information and not...