or Connect

Posts by pamplona

thanks for the kind and lengthy reply, Research Baby - i appreciate that!  yes - you and i both come at this issue with different histories and with different kids.  i also cannot predict how i would react in your shoes either, and agree that that is a-okay.  :)   what a strange phenomenon your relatives had going when they locked you out for 1-2 hours at a time while cleaning!  i guess they didn't want a kid in the way, but that's fairly extreme!  as i mentioned, when i...
If I was worried about the temp or weather, I'd just close her in the downstairs bathroom until she was ready to stop hurting me. But normally outside is more pleasant and calming for her. If our neighbors had been worried, they would have called CPS dozens upon dozens of times since DD was born, since she has plenty of meltdowns indoors and outdoors when I'm with her as well. DD has always been very spirited. When I lock her outside, she's only there for 10-60 seconds at...
imagine an angry child is hurting you. makes sense to put up a barrier between you and said child.  the child is not going to "process her emotions" until she has calmed down.  and if offering a hug is not your child's style while enraged, and just amps her her more, then a barrier makes more sense at that moment.  hugs come after she stops trying to hurt me.   why would it matter exactly what the barrier is as long is the child is safe and the barrier is temporary?...
I do something similar with my daughter. It works well for us, and is not harmful/dangerous in any way in our case. My 3.5 yo daughter's tantrums involve her trying her darnedest to hurt me and/or DH: hitting, kicking, biting, scratching, you name it. Holding her down or moving ourselves to another room does not help at all - she just escalates and comes after us. If we're downstairs, I put her outside in the fenced in backyard and lock the door. I tell her to let me...
that's really helpful - thanks again!   from reading your response and from guessing, i think my daughter will/would go longer than age 5 if i had to guess.  she's 3.5 yo now, and i can only count a small handful of times she has voluntarily missed her once a day nursing session.   i am actually thinking i may mama-led wean her if she isn't done or mostly done by age 5, not because of the stigma of nursing a kindergartener, but due to some schedule-related/logistical...
Thanks so much for the reply! That makes sense to me that despite losing her latch, my DD could also still be quite a ways - in your case a year or two - before total weaning.Was weaning super gradual for your DS when it happened, or somewhat sudden?
Thanks, Tracyamber! Maybe my daughter's unique on this one, but guessing not. It seems like Mothering is one of the best places to ask random questions about older nurslings.
My 3.5 yo daughter is moving towards self-weaning, and currently nurses once a day. She has lately been nursing only about 10 seconds and then saying she's done. This morning she told me her milkies were "wobbly," and that's why she was done. Has anyone experienced something similar? Do you think she's just losing her latch as she ages out of nursing, or any ideas on what she means? I'm curious!
glad we can relate to each other, nmelanson!  yes - that annoys me the most too!!   i'm happy to say (and knocking on lots of wood) that our issue seems resolved for the moment. DD amazed me by taking like magic to the palette on the floor idea.  every night since i last posted, she comes in our bedroom quiet as a mouse and goes quickly back to sleep on the palette (mat and blankets) at the foot of our bed. she even remembers to bring her pillow from her bed!   whether...
my 3 yo daughter has come to our bed for the second half of the night since she turned 2.  she's always been a wild, thrashing around in bed, really tough to bedshare with kind of gal.   but the last couple of weeks have pushed me beyond my limit.  she comes into our bed anywhere from 4 to 6 am, and thrashes around awake for over an hour before either falling back to sleep or just getting up for the day (we get up at 6:30). even if she eventually falls back asleep (which...