or Connect

Posts by pamplona

My DD turns 3 yo next month, and nurses 3 x a day currently. I'd like to nurse her to self-weaning, but am leaning toward (mother-led) dropping one nursing in the near-ish future. I'd be happy to continue at 2 nursings per day for the foreseeable future, but am personally getting a bit burnt out on three. I'm considering dropping our bedtime nursing, because it honestly feels like her least important nursing session. However, I realize this may be opposite of many kids -...
  But priorities include evaluating what's least damaging to your child - priorities are about weighing the pros and cons and deciding what's most important.   In our case, we tried every trick we could think of or read about, and our super spirited DD still goes through several phases of refusing teeth brushing.  So evaluating our priorities included us deciding which damaged her the least - pinning her down or not brushing her teeth.
Condescending much? I am clearly the parent, and my daughter doesn't control me with violence. I firmly tell her that I won't let her hurt me, and physically prevent her from doing so when necessary. She is learning respect for others just as I am showing respect for her.There is more than one way to effectively teach kids these important lessons about how to treat others. Just as I would never tell another parent that my way is the only way, it would be nice if you could...
  Thanks for responding again, Corrina.   I have not discussed the issue with a health care provider or therapist. I definitely would if the behavior continues or worsens, but for now it seems like undesirable, but developmentally within normal limits behavior for my spirited child. She goes through phases of being more agressive/violent, and then phases of little to no agression/violence. In fact, ironically enough she pretty much stopped the current phase right around...
Wow - interesting response. I appreciate you sharing your view/suggestion. However, you've obviously never met my DD or other kids like her if you think that intervention would be effective and not harmful. So while your advice doesn't resonate with me, I wanted to thank you for responding.
How do you "ignore" someone hurting you via hitting, scratching (drawing blood), pinching, biting and kicking?You'd be more likely to try to separate yourselves by locking you or the kid in a room. But why would you do that if there's a big risk of the particular kid hurting herself and/or majorly damaging something in the house, not to mention the emotional trauma of being locked somewhere against her will.Also, I'm glad your strategy worked with your (younger) child and...
Thanks, Scottishmommy - that was super helpful!! I agree that our best solution is also probably a combo of avoiding triggers when possible and the magical elixir of time.
My DD actually attacks my husband more violently than she attacks me. He's had to go to work several times with big scratches across his neck or chest. We both say no and do all we can to physically keep her from attacking us, but sometimes DH doesn't see it coming in time to avoid getting hurt.
Yeah - i think you sometimes have to weigh out what's most important. For us, toothbrushing is non negotiable, similar to other things like wearing sunscreen when appropriate or fastening a seatbelt (although skipping one tooth brushing is way different than skipping the seatbelt one time). We are also all about NOT holding DD down, but she's super spirited, so sometimes all the tricks in the world don't work. I promise - we've tried them all many times over. There are...
Hmmm... If I turned my back she would still manage to get to both my front and back - she moves quick. And it's not just hitting - your suggestion would allow her to bite, pinch, kick and severely scratch me and my husband as well as hitting. Have you been through something like this? I tend to feel like it's important to teach her that hurting others is not okay. If she tries to hurt me, I will defend myself and stop her. Just as I'd want her to eventually learn how to...