or Connect

Posts by Tomoe Gozen

My ex spends most of his time in front of his computer.  This doesn't change just because his son is visiting.  He actively encourages ds to watch movies and youtube videos, and to play video games.  Sometimes they do this together, other times ds goes for long, unsupervised stretches in front of his computer.  In fact, he's had his OWN computer for a while.  Ex's idea, and I was not consulted!    I don't like the constant electronics, but I realize that how ex "parents"...
This question is for my friend.  Long, but she needs advice!   She and her stbx have been separated for more than a year.  Their ad litem hearing is next month.  Before they split, they sat down and wrote out (and signed) an agreement which covered everything from finances to property division to visitation for their 7 year old son.   They spent a lot of time and thought on the agreement, and followed it for months.  They were getting along really well-- my friend even...
I've previously worked at preschools and daycares, and even had a small in-home daycare.  Now I'm being asked if I want to start a daycare or preschool in a local community center.   I'm very intrigued, but maybe a little out of my depth.  Anyone had experience?
When my ds was 12, his new school wanted him assessed, because they thought he had Asperger's Syndrome. To be fair, he does have a good number of "Spectrum" behaviors, but also a lot of traits that seem to rule that out. The (school district) psychologists who evaluated ds said he was gifted with sensory issues, executive function issues, and a heap of anxiety-- no Aspergers. The psychologist that he started to see for his anxiety confirmed-- no Aspergers. Now ds is...
Provocative title, eh?    My 7 year old ds is "gifted," with "borderline" ADHD, some sensory sensitivities, and anxiety.  He does very well at school academically, but gets in trouble at school sometimes for not paying attention/following directions, clowning around, not obeying the teachers....   My friend's ds is the same age, and the above description applies to him as well-- except that he has just been evaluated and judged NOT having ADHD, or anything...
Thank you all!  You've given me a lot to think about.
My parents were good, overall, and I never doubted that they loved me.  They made some parenting choices that I'll never understand, though.  A few puzzlers:   Told me all along that I was adopted, but never told me I was mixed race.  Very dang confusing growing up!  Also, my mom got VERY angry and defensive when I asked anything about my birth parents (she had abandonment issues, I guess).   Bragged to others about my intelligence, but ridiculed me for being...
My 7 year old is a very picky eater, with a sweet tooth, sensory issues, and a small appetite.  He's very resistant to new foods, "lumpy" foods, foods that "look gross," etc.  He will not touch meat.  He's also fickle; something he'll eat today may be "gross" tomorrow.   His father will not be on board with any changes to ds' diet, no matter how helpful they might be, and there's nothing I can do about that.  Ds is with him about 20% of the time.   I'd like to...
We haven't had a dog in 3 years (my ex took the kids' dog ).  We're moving to a place we can have a dog again.    My kids and I are all allergic to pollen and cats.  I am afraid that one (or all!) of us might develop an allergy to the dog.    Of course, we want a dog that is gentle and good with kids.   Also, I have a personal concern.   I like dogs, but I'm really sensitive to how they smell.    Are there less-stinky breeds, or is this just my...
OP, here.  The classes I'm talking about are "regular;" my AP has a lot more, and deeper, work.   I wish my students wanted challenge and engagement!  Their first choice would be to not have to go to classes at all.  Considering they do have to, they want busy work.  They prefer no-brainers that they can plow through (or copy from someone else) with minimal effort.  It's ridiculous to force teens to come to class and then complain that they don't show effort, I realize! ...