or Connect

Posts by dakipode

I live in a super dry climate. I know people don't use the wet method anymore and I'm wondering if keeping the diapers in the pail with lid will keep them from drying out before I'm ready to wash them (I was thinking every other day or so?). What about the poo diapers? Does it affect them if the poo dries?   That's totally me so thanks for asking all these questions or I would've been the one to bring them up! By the way, for what it's worth, after doing some research I...
I'm getting more excited about trying cloth diapering. I just ordered 6 PUL covers from a local lady. $7 a piece, buy 5 get 1 free... I put some flats on my registry and I figured we can get started that way (cheap) and I can always spend more money later if I find that the cheap solution doesn't work out. I have the two wool covers I made and I figure I can make another one once the kid's here and I know what size I need. I bought two skeins of yarn for $6-7 a piece,...
For those of you with swamp coolers: we switched from a "regular" swamp cooler to a Master Cool, the one with the thick pads and it makes a HUGE difference! I didn't believe it could be that dramatic but DH lucked into a co-worker getting rid of an old one for free and it's amazing. We run it on low most of the time, every once in a while it needs to go on high but rarely. I went to the movies Fri and Sat, so that covered 2.5 hours each day. Over the years we've...
Oh, swimming in a pool would be so nice right now. A few years ago my friend and I who have close birthdays spent the day at a spa with a pool and that was awesome. Maybe I can convince her to do the same this year.   vc, your question reminds me of something my mother commented on years ago. She had a friend who lived in the US but was originally from Belgium (where I'm from) and the friend had gotten a nasty comment from someone at the pool because her 3 year old...
mrsandmrs: I loved The Magician King and The Magicians! So much happens in the first one that is referred to in the second one that I had forgotten about. I'm a speedy reader but I also forget a lot of the details. In a way it works out because then I can always reread my favorite books!   Serafina: glad you're enjoying the show. I think my favorite one so far is the one where they go to the amusement park. I want to finish watching season 2 so I can see the movie,...
Serafina, in my case I'm not just talking about year 1, I'm talking about the whole time till the kid leaves the house. There are several fears that drive my decision to keep working, as well as lots of positive reasons. Fears: - if I don't work at all and DH is the only breadwinner what if DH dies before the kid's out of the house? - I don't want to become one of "those" people who can only talk about their kid and all his/her accomplishments. I want to stay...
This made me laugh!   Mystery: I read Gone Girl a while back and was a bit disappointed with the ending. I also recently read In The Woods by Tana French, it's a couple of years old. I liked that one but again found the ending a bit weak. More of a psychological thriller, can be a bit disturbing.   Normal fiction: - Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya. One of those classics that's been on my list forever, very much enjoyed it, great "coming of age" novel even though the...
Mama Ana, thanks for your support! The beach sounds absolutely wonderful to me. It's dry, dry, dry here and no hopes for a monsoon season.   freckledmama: I think they "overbook" the client list initially because they count on a number of women risking out. Maybe we have an unusual amount of non-complicated pregnancies here due in Sept... I thought I had heard them mention a number at the orientation (like 10-15 a month) but maybe I misheard or just don't remember...
On a different subject, I just need a little vent: I was at my appt on Tuesday and the midwife who was checking my chart for my due date made an off hand comment saying "Oh, you're due the week that everyone is due. We have about 10 ladies who are expecting their babies that week." Well, given that they only have two birth rooms and three midwives that scenario doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Firstly, I was sort of hoping to be at the birth center by myself, not with...
I just requested to join, let's just say I've got an unpronounceable long last name, you'll see it.