or Connect

Posts by mamarhu

Yes, I also am sometimes surprised how mainstream it can be around here. I often throw in a differing viewpoint, but it is frequently ignored. It's all good - I don't feel any need to change anyone. But I do sometimes miss finding support for my more radical, far-fetched notions.
My city has many, many Goodwills. Each reflects the neighborhood it is in. The way cool hipster neighborhood Goodwill has great clothes and home goods, brand-name, vintage, like that, but very expensive, at least by thrift store standards. The conservative, upscale neighborhood one is expensive and classy. My po' folks neighborhood has cheaper stuff, but not the same quality or variety. I don't know if this is based on where the donations are received, or if they send all...
I had a very good grocery store day, and just want to celebrate a moment! I am not usually the meal planning, shop-with-a-list type. But wow - it makes a difference! I got paid early (didn't expect the direct deposit until the 15th) so thought I'd take advantage of the weekend. I picked up our Bountiful Basket, then came home and planned 15 dinners (family of 3, but counting on leftovers for lunches). Our cupboards were pretty bare, so I had to buy almost everything but...
My biggest mama-bear moment may have appeared quite passive. It wasn't, by any means, but perhaps I was pretty invisible. In about 3rd or 4th grade, YoungSon was having a hard time. He had been mostly homeschooled, but we thought we would give school a try. He had been in school about 2 or 3 months, and his behavior was escalating. My sweet, quiet autistic boy was having daily meltdowns, running from school, etc. They moved him to a Behavior Classroom. Totally the wrong...
Tickets to a sports event? Even if it is months away, the anticipation could be half the fun.
This evening, I made my YoungSon, 17, a teddy bear, because he asked me to. Mind you, this boy is 6 feet tall, works out at the gym 5 days a week, takes public transportation all over the city alone, and is super independent and mature (at least in some ways ). He has a mustache, for Pete's sake! We even had this conversation this evening as I was sewing. He said he is glad that he feels confident enough to enjoy toys. But he did say that it would be weird if he had more...
micah_mae - here is the social security story, as I know it: (I work as a family advocate, and help many families apply for SSI)   For a child to receive SSI, it is based on 2 factors - family income (they have some secret chart of how much you can make, based on family si*e (that was for solidarity!)and that sort of thing), and the severity of the disability, that is the actual level of functioning. So it doesn't go by the specific diagnosis, as much as how serious the...
You know, it really sounds like she (and you!) could be ready for some sort of preschool playgroup program. I am a homeschooling parent, and don't push early academics at all. But maybe from a social perspective, that would be a good situation for both of you. Just a thought...
Your boy doesn't sound too far behind, at least not by my boys' standards! My girls all talked much earlier than the boys, and that is fairly typical. Have you tried teaching him sign language? Many kids are frustrated when their mouth and tongue limit their communication - hands seem easier to control. A lot of families find that signing really helps in this stage.    
Something that has saved me over the years is getting up W-A-A-A-Y before the rest of my family. Like 3-4 hours sometimes. I truly need this quiet time, and have used it in all sorts of ways. Today, I am here on MDC! This is my social life. At other stages of my life I have done schoolwork (I completed a Bachelor's Degree online, between 4 and 8 AM), a home business (sewing in the early morns). Some days, I play mindless computer games, but this is my time. I have had up...