or Connect

Posts by mamarhu

I am going to be pretty blunt here - please forgive me in advance!   It sounds like the problem is that this has become your project, not his. I would guess that his original interest was that it was new and interesting - now it is a bore, interrupting activities that are more fun, getting nagged, etc. I would hate to be reminded every 20-30 minutes - wouldn't you? I would drop the subject. Let him come back to it when HE wants. Kids at school, icky smells and feelings,...
I am in sort of the opposite situation. Most of my clients are living in much deeper poverty than I am - really, like nearly homeless, or income of $700/month and their rent is $650 (cheap for the area), and really scrambling each month. I feel guilty worrying and stressing over my finances. I don't have much left after the basic bills, but at least I don't have to deal with shut-off notices every month. But I have a college degree, and am working full-time - shouldn't I...
When I lived in a truly unheated house, I used electric blankets and electric bed pads, rather than try to heat the whole place. It was cozy in bed, but I realized I had probably gone too far when the toilet water froze solid....
With #1, I had no clue, until I was like 4 or 5 months along. My period had never been regular, and it just wasn't on my radar. My favorite food when I was pregnant was grilled cheese sandwiches with blackberry jam. Which leads us to...   #2 - At about 1 or 2 weeks, I found myself putting cheddar cheese and blackberry jam on my biscuit for breakfast. That was my first clue, and yes, I was right.   After that, I knew each time within hours when I was pregnant. One time,...
I was 9, and DD was 8.
I am starting a small business project, upcycling used adult t-shirts into baby clothes, and today I found:   5 baby rompers and onsies, to use as size guages (I make my own patterns, but want to standardize the size and shape) - $1 each   10 used adult t-shirts - 4 or 5 with good art, or music group logo, others not so great, but good for practice - $1 each.    $15 investment, to start a business! All I can think of that I need to get going is thread, and a chalk...
Ahh, good advice from the wise ladies here.   I have started applying for jobs off Craigslist - a slow but possible solution. Because this isn't urgent, I can remind myself not to panic and do anything I would hate. I think a second job should be my Plan B. I am tired after work, and really need evenings and weekends for my kids, and some me-time. I think I am getting to old to push too hard. But I really don't want to get into a job I hate, just for the money.   Very...
This happened years ago, but I don't remember writing about it here before, so here goes...   LittleGirl, then 8, had major meltdowns. I mean truly epic, lying on the floor, kicking and screaming, frothing at the mouth style. One really major one was when I insisted she bring a jacket to school one winter day. I didn't care if she wore it, carried it, or stuffed it in her backpack, but as a foster parent, I was under some scrutiny, and I couldn't send her to school...
I know and respect that some spectrumy kids have benefited from a gluten free diet. And I admire Mamas who can manage this. For YoungSon, that was absolutely not the case. He was on a clear liquid diet for 9 months, absolutely NOTHING but apple juice, white grape juice, and homemade chicken/veggie broth for 9 months. No behavior change at all. But I can't imagine any harm in giving it a try.
With ElderSon, I wore him in every climate. In Minnesota in the wintertime, he was dressed warmly, in a sling, and under my cape when we were outside. I made a heavy wool cape for when I was pregnant (I couldn't see buying a maternity coat), and it worked well with a sling. Then we lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean for the next 5 years - snowsuits were not an issue! And we didn't have a car, so we didn't have a carseat. On a boat, there was no room (or need) for any...