or Connect

Posts by mamarhu

No top sheets in this house! We all use just the bottom sheet.  Back when I was a serious quilter, I would buy 100% cotton sheet sets, use the top sheet as backing, and include the fitted sheet and pillow covers with the quilt.
I love this! I don't do much direct eye contact myself, and will be giving it a try. "Look me in the nose" is funny in any case.
Over years of unschooling, I cannot really say I have never taught my kids anything. I am 40 years older than them, and have much more experience and information about the world bouncing around in my head. And sometimes, it has been more my interests than theirs. I am quite obsessed with (my own) learning about microbiology, among other fields. When I read a new book, I get excited about some facet I have just learned, and want to share. I "impose" this on the kids, not...
In answer to the original question:   Think of a child's first 2 or 3 years of life. In that brief time, they learned to walk, talk, and interact with their world in a myriad of ways. No one ever "taught" them. Structured curriculum was not necessary. They learned by observation, trial and error, practice, and a thousand other ways. The parents' role is to model what is possible, provide a safe environment and opportunities, and let the child get on with what comes...
When we lived in Georgia, the only state requirement was that I turn in a monthly attendance chart.  Does everyone notice how ridiculous this is? I mean, how exactly would you go about NOT attending in an unschooling family?
Is she throwing things for the fun of it, to get your attention, out of anger or frustration, or what? "Throw this instead" will only work if throwing is her goal. If there is something else going on, it will help to identify that, and deal with it. If she is trying to communicate some big emotion, discipline is not the solution.
Justmama - I am so chagrined I missed the solidarity * - I really mean to maintain that. It is my way of saying I keep up with your posts, and wish you all the best.
Good news here - My work sponsors a "Fitness Challenge" each year that I have blown off. I just glanced at it, saw it was mostly about exercise and dietary changes, and forgot about it. I guess they are trying to motivate employees to be healthy. But today, for some reason I actually read the flyer (boring staff meeting), and saw that I qualified for almost every category. You don't really need to be making changes, so I get credit for things like: cook healthy meals from...
Regarding the price of textbooks - my mom went to university in the early 1940's. Textbooks for each semester then cost about the same as one  month room and board at a rooming house. In the 80's, I managed the bookstore at a major university/medical school. Textbooks then cost, you guessed it, about the same as one month room rental plus food for a frugal student. In my area, renting a room is about $350-500/month, and I guess one person eats about $150/month...
When I was in the adoption process, I went to professional mediation with the bio-mom. We spelled out very tangible plans (frequency of visits, phone calls, pictures and updates), all with the written understanding that I could change the plan based on the kids' reactions, if bio-mom was ever inappropriate, or any other reason I wanted. The adoptive family of my kids' siblings had the same agreement, and needed to cut off visits for the time being (the girls were very...