or Connect

Posts by mamarhu

Yesterday, I decided that we have outgrown our smallish fruit bowl. I wanted to find a shallow, rectangular basket, that would just fit the top of the microwave cart (no microwave). So we went to Goodwill, and found EXACTLY what we needed! What are the chances? And only $3.99. And that purchase put me over the 400 points to earn a $10 credit next time. And, I managed to get out the door without buying anything else! What a day!
I always do hard-boiled egg pumpkins.  Color a jack-o-lantern face on the boiled egg with a black crayon, then dye it orange. Trick or treaters sometimes look at me funny, but we have never been TP'd!
Well, the simplest answer is that the Eastside is cheaper than the West. I am sort of a social worker, and work and live on the Eastside. Over here, we have islands of expensive upscale, trendy hipster, uber-crunchy families, scary druggish, immigrants sorted by language, and others, all floating in a sea of working class regular folks. Through my work, I have opportunity to see many, many schools, in the Portland Public School District, and several others. My call is it...
Welcome - and glad you found us. Things have been pretty quiet lately, but maybe we will get revved back up!
It was a few (3?) years ago that I had such a full house. Bio kids were 14 and 15, one with autism. Foster kids were 8 and 9, both therapeutic level, both with serious PTSD, one with ADHD. I also had my grandchildren, aged 2 months and 2 years when they came to me. BigGirl was the 15 year old, and absolutely amazing with the little ones - I really didn't ever do this alone.   So here are some of the specific things we did:   A large list on the wall of things that are...
Still thinking about this...   To me, it explains why YoungSon has difficulty answering direct questions, even when he knows the answer. He can be talking intelligently about a subject (World War II is a current interest), and if I ask for clarification on a point, he often has a hard time expressing it. Even if he just said it. Likewise, in an evaluation when he was 7 (they let me be with him for that one), he answered many questions, "I know it, but I can't say it"....
Please let me preface this by saying that I am probably naturally the least structured person you will ever meet. What I am about to say does not come naturally to me. It is the solution I found to living with 3 special needs kids (and 3 more!) at the same time.   I think the biggest gift you could give your kids (and yourself!) is predictability. Structure in the sense of a clear morning routine (we get up at 7, get dressed, eat breakfast at 7:30, get on the school bus...
I heard a brief snippet on the radio today (sorry I have no source for this). It was from an adult with autism. The context was the perception that people with autism lack empathy and interest in social contact. This man said that as a child, direct one-on-one communication with people was too intense for him, so he shut down. Far from lacking empathy, he craved social contact, and felt too deeply others moods. He said the intensity of direct eye contact was similar to how...
In the poll, I would have chosen, "I might own an iron, but I don't know where it is".   As a has-been seamstress, I have actively used an iron at some stages of my life, but never for my clothing, linens, or anything like that. I do have a pretty fantastic, oversized ironing board, with a special padded cover. I did once have a great (over $200!) iron.   True confessions time: I dress pretty butch, generally men's dress shirts with slacks for work. That wasn't the...
Do you have a dog? Or could you get (or even borrow) a dog? My DD got in the habit of walking when she was responsible for a dog. Became a regular, twice a day, 20 minutes each thing.