or Connect

Posts by CallMeIshmael

Hey QTB. The timing's right for the Effexor (drug reactions are commonly seen from 5-90 days after starting something new), BUT Effexor is not one of the usual suspects for this kind of problem. In fact, if you go to the product monograph, you'll see a huge number of possible side effects (some of them incredibly obscure), but not one of them is liver-related. So yes, more waiting and wondering. Totally sympathize with the US-tech-won't-tell-me-anything problem:...
This is a surprisingly tough question because there are a huge number of things that can cause conjugated hyperbilirubinemia (i.e., high bili in blood + urine). In general, it's caused by one of two processes: your liver could be having trouble secreting bile (a viral infection, a drug reaction, or a congenital condition could cause this. It can also happen during pregnancy). Alternatively, the bile could be getting stuck on its way to your intestine (gallstones can do...
Ditto. My daughter was never a solid sleeper, but it went from bad to worse at that age. I ran into a whole lotta moms who said the same thing. Their brains and bodies are changing so much, it's not really surprising that they fall off the sleep wagon sometimes. The absolute worst part was when she was learning to crawl -- unlike Curious, we have no headboard, so in my daughter's case she just kept headbutting the wall every 20 minutes or so. Nothing like...
Family history of seizures is not an absolute contraindication for DTaP. It's a relative thing: DTaP is known to cause seizures in a small number of kids who get it. Kids with a family history of seizures are theoretically more susceptible to seizures from any cause. Therefore it's possible that there'd be an increased risk from DTaP as well. Even kids who have had seizures themselves are still considered eligible for DaTP ("use with caution"), so a family history...
My guess is he's talking about Hib. H flu type B (not related to the flu virus) is one of those bacteria that lives in the noses and throats of 1-5% of children without doing any harm. But every once in awhile, it can cause a very rare but exceedingly nasty condition known as epiglottitis. The condition starts with fever and sore throat, but can progress within hours to life-threatening airway obstruction from the swelling. Peak age is 4-5. And yes, most peds say...
Pauvre Maman. I realize that you're looking for diapering advice, and it sounds as if you've gotten some good suggestions. But may I venture another approach? Would it be possible to cut back the amount Chantal is eating overnight so that she's not having to pee so much? Listen, I'd never suggest messing around with a night-nursing routine if it's working and everybody's reasonably happy. But clearly this one's a bit problematic. At 20 months, Chantal has no...
The way I figure it, there are several states of satiety, and they have varying effects on sleep. You (or your baby) can go to bed hungry. That's not very restful. You can also go to bed not-full-but-satisfied or full-and-satisfied. Neither of those states seems to affect sleep very much. Or you can go to bed in a food coma and sleep like a lump for hours upon hours. Thanksgiving dinner does that to me. Perhaps 50+% of a box of Annie's mac & cheese with chopped...
First, some facts: 1. SIDS is pretty rare: 2000 rate is ~1 in 1,600 babies. 2. Most recent evidence suggests that a big factor is immaturity/abnormality of certain babies' autonomic nervous systems (which control breathing and heart rate, body temperature, and so forth). There's nothing you can do about that. However, environmental conditions -- which you can control -- will make babies who are already at risk even more vulnerable (sleeping position, cigarette...