or Connect

Posts by CallMeIshmael

She may just not have been getting enough iron with the vitamins -- how much were you giving her? The only problem with floradix is you have to get her to take a whoooole lot of it to get enough iron. Because she's already low, she'd need at least ~30mg iron/day; that's 2 tablespoons.
Looks like an umbilical granuloma. If they're oozing, we generally use silver nitrate to dry them up, but you can also tie them off -- and there may be other ways to manage them as well. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_umbigran_hhg.htm http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050415/photo.html
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay My own theory...way, this is sort of a blow to the "Vaccinate all the kids to protect everyone else" idea, isn't it? You know, I love your theory. In all sincerity. Doesn't mean I think it's true, necessarily, but it's certainly possbile -- and fun to contemplate. Not buying your "blow to the ...idea" assessment, though. We're talking about tiny numbers of hospitalized people. The more powerful numbers...
Quote: Originally Posted by knowerofnada None of the peds were supportive of our BF'ing and, in fact, were generally very ignorant about it. That's just depressing. Quote: They were outright OPPOSED to extended breastfeeding (beyond one year) -- what's your take on that? since I breastfed my own daughter for two and a half years, I'm all for it! I'm glad the WBVs worked for you, even if you were harassed about...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamakay Oh, I see the confusion. The differences in hospitilizations of people living in the households are quite statistically significant. [Ha ha, simultaneous post. Obviously you see it as well!] The primary data is barely statistically significant (p = 0.05, p=0.03, for adults and children, respectively). But that primary data only looked at whether hospitalized people were from the household of someone who...
Quote: Originally Posted by aira BFing support? : Really?? Oh heavens yes. I thinks most newer peds are pretty good these days -- there's a huge emphasis on the benefits of BFing in our education. I'm particularly passionate about it because i have a natural tendency to feel that formula companies are evil institutions designed to usurp our natural abilities to feed and nuture our children for their own profit. But that's just me.
[double post]
Quote: Originally Posted by knowerofnada I did edit my post because I actually am aware that ped salaries are generally considerably lower than other physicians', and it wasn't fair (or accurate) to make that statement. I was trying to find a nice smiley icon to put here but I couldn't -- so here: >>>smile<<<
Quote: Originally Posted by LongIsland Regardless, tens of millions of children wouldn't be going to the pediatrician as much as they do if it weren't for vaccination mandates and health examination mandates. How many visits typically take place in the first two years alone? Take away vaccines and you take away a shit load of business. Agreed. Although I'm curious about what the well-baby-visit schedule was like before the vax schedule...
Quote: Originally Posted by suschi [CMI: There's little epidemiological evidence tying SIDS to vaxes] That's right. And why is that? Because they don't want to FIND THAT information. Forgive me. My wording was unclear. When I said "little epidemiologicl evidence", I didn't mean there was a lack of studies. I meant there there were several studies that showed no link. The literature also contains plenty of case reports of individual...