or Connect

Posts by pek64

Fair is not the same as equal! There is nothing wrong with treating your children differently, as long as it is also fairly. Different people have different interests, and while giving everyone swim goggles is equal, it is unfair to the ones who hate swimming. Is that point really so subtle that so many seem to be missing it? Also, a grandparent who chooses to abuse one grandchild, just because she wants to, should not be allowed. It is reasonable and acceptable for the...
Do you mean that people in apartments are supposed to grow their own food?In general, some people make poor food and/or money choices, and believe their choices are good. Sometimes they are open to education, sometimes not. If really poor food was simply not available for them to choose, it would help. People are not going to make their own transfats, or high fuctose corn syrup. Why are those things allowed? And genetic modification? We are experimenting with children on a...
For me, it wasn't always the stuff, but the effort. My mother stood up for my sisters at school, while I had to fend for myself. I was told my grades weren't deserved, because they were better than my siblings' grades. That kind of thing. I'm sorry I helped to take this thread off topic. Maybe we should get back to the original subject.
I would insist the person stop and never do it again. It can damage the eardrum, and is weird.
I would take his hand and say "No! I don't hit you and you don't hit me." Of course, that was before I learned about positive speaking. The subconscious does not understand "not", or "try". Anyway, after saying that I would hold him and give a lengthy lecture about how hitting in self-defense is one thing, but if you're not being hit, you shouldn't hit, etc. Now before anyone says a toddler won't listen, let me tell you what he did learn was hitting resulted in a kind of...
Maybe we should make a poll and ask what everyone's experiences were. I wonder if anyone would say "I got all the attention, etc in my family"? In other words, does anyone feel there was favoritism and was the favorite? I bet my siblings would say I was spoiled and they suffered.
Journeymom, you were a victim of favoritism. Do you think it helped you be a better adult? Because that's what the goal is, to raise healthy (physically and mentally) adults.
Chamomile has antibiotic properties, so, like chlorinated water, it attacks or elininates helpful bacteria.
My son gets migraines from sugar, artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners, so we don't ever have sweets. He knows what they do to him, so he refuses them himself. I guess that wouldn't work for you. The reason I posted is to give you an example to hold on to when someone says, "But ALL children (fill in with whatever)", or "But children NEED (fill in whatever)". Children can be happy and healthy without soda, candy, cookies (unless homemade, with fruit juice), etc. It...
I encourage you to become familiar with your state's law. I'm in PA, and once the child has been in school and identified as special needs there are additional rules to comply with state law. So get a good understanding of your laws. nhen.org is the national home education network site, and has links to sites for each state that can be relied on for the law/rules for each state. Start there. Testing is more for the school than the child. Based on test scores, the district...