or Connect

Posts by pek64

Doctors get in people's faces on issues at times, and most do what the doctor says should be done. So I disagree that the 'neutral' tone is for the patient's sake. If doctors actually say that circumcision is not in the child's best interest, then fewer parents would authorize it. And that would cut into the profits the doctor makes from performing the circumcision. The best way to get doctors to tell the truth about circumcision is to have the docs do it free of charge....
I was supposed to be fitted with hard contacts in my early teen years to alter the shape of my eye. Is that what you mean? My parents decided against it, though, so I don't have any information about it. You can approach her nearsightedness in other ways, however. Get a length of string/rope and tie knots every foot. One end should be a loop that goes over a doorknob. She would hold the other end, and, without her glasses/contacts, focus on the knot closest to her, then...
If her choices are voluntary, it does not have to be all or nothing. She can include two or three meals a week with local, organic meat or eggs. If she is going to eat vegan, she needs to get B-12 in her diet, somehow. If she is trying to lose weight, 100% concord grape juice has been shown to aid weight loss. Drink 8 oz per day.
I think you should follow your own gut on this. You are the one, and the only one, who will one day look back on these days. What will you wish you had done? Followed the crowd and turn off the TV, use it as a tool on occasion (or daily), or leave it on all the time. What feels right to *you*? That's who to listen to -- yourself.
OK. Here goes. I have one teenage son. He has always been homeschooled. I would consider us to be relaxed or eclectic in style. We read lots of books, went to science and nature centers, and played lots of games. Math is one of the subjects that just doesn't come up naturally for us, at least not algebra, trig and calculus. My son has resisted those subjects, but has at least been exposed. I love books, and read to my son for *years*, even though he was an early reader....
The crying shows the child is bonded to the grandmother. If visits are suddenly cut she may resent her mother for doing that. And I'm not saying to ignore the past. Not at all! But if the past is being projected onto the present, then grandma and granddaughter would be punished for something old. I am simply suggesting she discuss this with a professional who can have a more back and forth exchange with her.
Kicking ideas and concepts around, both of you contributing, will also help. Children often learn by example.
This is such a difficult situation that I feel it would be beneficial for you to go to therapy alone. The therapist can suggest how to talk with her, and how to handle her responses. What do you think about that?
It looks like Polliwog and Snydley cross posted. Since no one else is chiming in, I'll go first. I reread the original post and your additional post, and I'm still not seeing any definate red flags. It looks like grandma had issues, and has worked on them. It also seems like maybe, just possibly, you are having trouble getting past the old anger. Before you hurt the relationship between your mother and your daughter, I would suggest some counseling for you, and possibly...
How large would those portions have to be?