or Connect

Posts by granite

Huh, good to hear that context, @sandiegongp... I can't say that I ever looked up any of her other work, after disliking COTOM! Now that our DS is here, I wanted to update here with a quick bit about how things turned out: I'm exclusively breastfeeding now, but as we were needing to supplement for a while, my DP *did* end up feeding our kid many times, and says it was a wonderful experience... Though not one she feels she needs, more like a bonus. I was already topping up...
Good question! Our bank has a sibling registry and we plan on joining sometime soon. We hope to have another kid in a couple years & won't use the same donor, but will also likely list that kid in the registry. I look forward to meeting other donor siblings & their families, if there are any. My DP (NGP) is less enthusiastic, but thinks it's important for our DS. What's interesting in our case is that we already know the donor is a loving single parent to his 10 year old...
Oh, and i suppose we began telling everyone else at about 12 or 14 weeks, but only as we saw them in person. I didn't say anything on FB until I was exactly 6 months pregnant, which also was my 32nd birthday: I then wrote something about it in a status update, which is how friends I don't see often found out.
Welcome, @sandiegongp, and congrats!! We waited until seeing the heartbeat at 7 weeks to tell most people. There were a few exceptions: DP told her mom about our BFP almost right away, because she wasn't sure how she'd react & wanted to give her as much time as possible to get used to the idea. We told our housemates immediately. I ended up telling a group of my closest women friends at 6 weeks, because we went away for the weekend together & everyone else was guzzling...
We don't have a tree yet either, rs11! There's still time... Right?!! Thank you, all, for your thoughts on play/parenting groups. When my MIL was here right after Z was born, she brought up "mommy clubs" repeatedly, saying I needed to join one... Which frankly annoyed me, ornery state that I was in. At that point, all I wanted was to sleep and snuggle Z. But! I did go to a La Leche League meeting, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed just sitting around with other...
Huh... You know, @mrsandmrs, I was just thinking about the whole adventure of these past ten days of doctor visits & weigh-ins at the midwifery clinic, and wondering to myself if maybe I'd have picked up on Z's breastfeeding issues sooner if my MIL hadn't been here all that first week (For those of you not following the QP thread, Z wasn't gaining weight but seems to be better now). She wanted to hold him constantly, to the point that I had to tell DP that she needed to be...
Hi @rs11, congrats again on your growing family! I don't have any specific advice for you, but wanted to share this blog, in case you haven't heard of it: http://ranchochico.blogspot.ca The author is queer, living in Texas, and she & her wife have 4 kids... The three older of whom are adopted & have RAD to some degree. I think two of the kids were close to 2 years of age when adopted; I hope it can be a useful resource for you. Best wishes... It's wonderful that you're...
Oh WOW, @rs11! Congrats, how totally awesome! It's so good to hear from you again, I was wondering how things were going... I'm so happy for you & your family.
That's good to hear, @cynthiamoon! My DS would stay all day on the breast & still not be full... As a new parent, I didn't realize that this wasn't normal! Now he'll often be satiated enough to fall asleep after 20-30 minutes of unassisted nursing, but then usually wake up hungry again half an hour later. Still, it's progress!
I'm currently using a SNS to supplement my 20 day old, because he was slow to regain birth weight due to inefficient milk transfer (poor latch, tongue tie, & posssibly low supply). I can still pump some milk after he's done nursing without the SNS, so he's getting that plus a few ounces of formula throughout the day via SNS. I'm hoping we'll be able to get by without it in a few weeks... It's early days yet, though, so I'm just trying to focus on the present & keeping him...