or Connect

Posts by mrsavery

According to Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, between 50-70% of women get one result the first time they are tested, and get the opposite result when tested again (same pregnancy, of course). Its a very unreliable test, probably due to the large margin of (human error). Measuring, timing, and all that. Also interesting to note: evidence shows that there is no treatment, either with diet & exercise and/or insulin injections that actually IMPROVE outcomes for mother...
Wow- I just saw it too. That IS funny. Are they trying to target the pregnant ladies? That burger doesn't even look good. Yuck!
I don't know if it's insomnia or just starting to become more uncomfortable! Some nights I lay there forever and get itchy and antsy and can't hold still. Most nights I don't sleep for more than an hour before having to get up, move around, change position. Although- I did note one exception: my husband was out of town for work two nights last week and I slept 8+ hours straight through without him in the bed! I think it hurt his feelings when I told him how well I slept...
Yes- I think I'll check with my FP just to see if he would rather I wait, in the event that it causes contractions. So far its just drips, and no contractions. I'm type 1 diabetic, so the chance of the baby having a low blood sugar after birth is definitely there...and I would rather syringe or spoon feed my own colostrum than have the nursing staff insist on a formula or sugar water bottle, if it comes to that. Hopefully, though, baby will be able to be at breast and we...
So, as this is my first and the thought of lactating this early in the pregnancy never even occurred to me, I haven't done much research on what do if you DO start producing some colostrom. I first noticed a few drops this weekend, and I am 22 weeks. I guess I am going to go ahead and start expressing, because today while I was reading a breastfeeding book, I had a large amount of leakage, lol. Any of you who've experienced this have any tips or suggestions? Thanks :)
This weekend we had a Christmas party/gathering with extended family on my Mom's side. My cousin's daughter who is five, and whom I have rarely seen since she was a baby/toddler, came walking right up to me, eye level with my belly. She put her hands on my tummy and exclaimed "Baby!" and went to kiss the belly. Mid-kiss she looks up at my face and says, "Wait, WHO are you, again?" 
Can I just say: who knew about the unexpected perks of finally having your baby belly pop out for all to see? Complete strangers are smiling at me more...and opening doors for me...and the other day I dropped my phone on the floor, and a teenage girl went out of her way to retrieve it for me. Pregnancy brings out the nice people! :)
We saw our little one for the first time today! (19w1d) A full head-to-toe scan was in order because they wanted to check everything out with me being diabetic. It was SO AMAZING! He/she (fondly referred to as "Squirmy" by me) is perfect, although measuring *slightly* large in the 71st percentile. We've still got so much time and growing left to do though, so that could always change! My favorite part of the whole thing was watching as the baby sucked on his(?) hand and...
I am starting to have *little* twinges of anxiety, too. This is our first baby and Lord willing we will have more than one, so there really isn't any pressure for which gender we have first. Except that my husband is REALLY excited about having a boy. We always refer to the baby as a he. And I am beginning to picture life with a son. But we ARE NOT going to find out the gender until birth....and I can't help but feel conflicted about our attitude on this. What if this...
I went in to see the doc yesterday because I needed reassurance the baby was okay after having a few crappy days with my diabetes...he picked up the baby's HR right away, and asked if I had felt any movement yet. I told him I didn't think so, and he replied "Yeah, I think you'll be late in feeling it. That placenta is anterior."  So....anyway- now at least I feel like have a legit reason NOT to have felt any movement, lol. And everything is still fine. *Sigh*