or Connect

Posts by Callimom

I don't know how old your kids are and I think that makes a huge difference.   I am not a neat freak at all. I find staying on top of things a challenge but we have hit on a system that seems to work okay for us for now and takes about 30 minutes a day if we all work together.   I have 4 kids and each is responsible for a zone/chore. Everyone's zone needs to be done before we sit down for school in the morning and again before dinner.  These all take about the...
You might want to read some of the posts on the Camp Creek Blog http://www.whiteoakschool.com/ She is reggio inspired if not hardcore reggio.   You could also check out some of the ideas at  Brightworks school which seems a bit like a cross between a sudbury/montessori school and a reggio one. http://sfbrightworks.org/ (check out how they explain their project arcs). It's a school but I can see it working in a homeschooling environment in a similar...
Butterflykate thanks for sharing that.   OP by age 10 my eldest was taking the city bus on his own and was able to bike a couple of kms on his own.  He's 13 now and ready to travel between cities on his own (he's planning on heading to Toronto by train next month to spend the day at the ROM). By the time he was 11 he was able to take some/all of his siblings downtown by bus or bike to the library, or to run an errand for me.   My middles are now 10 and they have similar...
14) shepherd's pie 15) crockpot ginger orange chicken, rice, broc, spinach salad with apples and pears 16) homemade veggie pizza (it's our Friday tradition) 17) pasta with tomato sauce (we are out all day) and salad 18) something in the crock pot - will depend whats on sale this weekend 19) soup, salad and bread 20) BBQ burgers, veggie tray, sweet potato fries ((depends on weather - may swap with Wed) 21) veggie stirfry 22) crockpot meatballs (will either...
We have matching everyday (and I need another set of them as we have lost some and we are entertaining more now).  I also have my grandmother's silver.   I do have some random mismatched silver teaspoons that I picked up at the thrift store. They live in the tea cupboard and are used for coffee and tea stirring.  If they kids are taking a spoon somewhere (ie to eat something away from home), those are the spoons that go as I am not fussy if they get lost or that they...
I think that there are things you can do to help him learn these skills. It sounds like there are a few areas you are concern about. For personal space you can teach him the "cultural standard" of an arm's length away from strangers and  "rules" about not grabbing etc. You can help him develop emotional intelligence (there are lots of books on this) by helping him recognize cues and emotions from others, problem solving and compromise. These skills will give him a...
If you don't want to be confrontational, you could try the "Why do you ask" approach.  When he says "Can you count to 20?" just ask him why he's asking. He'll either realize he's being rude or he'll reveal the real issue behind the quizzing, which you can respond to more effectively to resolve the issue. If he's curious tell him, yep she can count to 20 but her learning is not for public display anymore than his is. If he doesn't think you are doing a good enough job...
Honestly I think you should greet this child with love and a welcoming heart, an open mind, hope for the future, offers of support, expressions of joy at the idea of a new baby in their community.  Without looking at it as a tragedy (which it isn't). It's not what I would necessarily chose for my kids, but I have friends and family who had children as teens and they have beautiful children and families, and wonderful lives (even though they may not have had the path they...
Some great ideas already. Here are a couple more:   Bring the world to you. Join postcard swaps, ATC swaps, craft/nature swaps, country swaps. Find penpals. Invite interesting people to dinner. Host short term (or longer term) student exchanges, or offer to billet visiting musicians or artists. Offer up your yard or couch for people passing through (there are a few different organizations which match people up for that sort of meeting).  There are tonnes of ideas...
Here's our plan for the next little while. I have a well stocked pantry and freezer and I am hoping to get buy without buying anything but fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, dairy and any super deals for pantry stocking if anything comes up. Aiming to keep grocery bill under $200 for the rest of the month unless there are great sales.  I have all the meat, grains and pantry items I need for this meal plan already, so it should be doable.  Most Mondays I feed an extra 2-3...