or Connect

Posts by Callimom

The tone of this is HIGHLY inappropriate in this thread. You can get your point across without being so incredibly unkind to someone working through these issues.   OP I hope you and your dog are doing well.  We let our 16 year old golden go naturally. She was eating small bits of cat food and drinking small bits of water until her last day (which was a Sunday). She passed away in our yard, on a blanket in the sun, surrounded by all of us. We loved her deeply and I...
You could check out the UU bookstore for ideas. We have the DK book A Faith like Mine which is good for kids about your son's age. We read lots of books, myths etc from different religions and talk about how similar elements of the mythology is. You might want to check out a UU congregation if you have one near you. Also look at Dale McGowan's books Raising Free Thinkers (which is excellent) and Parenting Beyond Belief (also good) which are for parents but have resource...
Depends on the kids and the situation. I make my own kids clean up when we are at someone else's house, and for the most part have no issue with another mom saying something about a 10 minute tidy before playtime is up. My son does have one friend whose playroom is a wall to wall disaster of lego all the time and I am always a bit bewildered (as is my son) when she sends my son in to clean it up after a playdate. Where in the world would he start. He hasn't added to...
I didn't read any of those comments directed at you specifically and more as a general you.  I have to say though I find your continued assertions that these particular children in this particular situation are unworthy of more compassion and consideration quite sad. They are just kids -lonely excluded uprooted kids. And I think your last line speaks volumes. If you want to be treated nicely, it has to start with treating others that way. In this case the old timers have...
And by the OPs own admission her kids and others have been mean and poorly behaved towards these new children, have been hurtful and exclusionary, the neighbourhood has been unwelcoming in general to this new family, and one family has gone far enough to list their house in order to avoid these neighbours. There is MORE than enough to go around and seeing as the OP is the only one we can address, most of us are saying that she needs to see how her initial perceptions and...
Hello We are hosting our first ever exchange student who arrives on Friday. I am looking for ideas and tips to help him (13 year old boy from Japan) to feel comfortable and to help him connect with my kids and vice versa. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? Thanks  
LOL or not eat them ourselves. We always have cheese and crackers, tortilla chips and fruit. I might try to pop something super quick into the oven, depending on how long the guests will be staying and what other emergency cleaning is required.