or Connect

Posts by Callimom

IMO you have it backwards. Kids as described in the OP, who are included and are shown kindly what the expected behaviours are, will be more likely, ime, to live up to them. Excluding them in the way you propose gives them no incentive to try to be kind as they haven't been shown any kindness or compassion and it ups the stakes. Why not start from the premise that kids are doing the best they have with what they are at the time and help them (and your kids) understand the...
I'm trying to imagine the scenario in a friendly kid focused neighbourhood where you have some friends playing in your front yard and tell others they can't and have that NOT be perceived as exclusionary by either your own kids or those you are turning away. Honestly, unless it is fenced/well secluded I can't see it.   OP the reality of the situation is that you either need to give your kids the skills and support to get along in a healthy way and solve the problems that...
Sorry OP for the hijack. We do a lot of volunteering with our kids. One of the places we go is actually pretty toddler friendly and while my kids are older, we pack with friends who have little ones. Kids as young as 3 can help pack boxes, and younger ones are great at gathering the empty boxes and pushing them to the bins. Attention span is an issue, but we usually plan for one of the moms or older kids to read to the little ones once they get bored with the work, so...
We have quite a few - many mentioned here already.   We have a couple of uniqe ones. We do a Solstice walk with friends. Every year we go to the same trail along the river with the same friends. We walk by candle light (kids carry their solstice lanterns or decorated solstice candles), to a certain clearing where we stop and decorate the trees for the animals. Everyone brings things - cranberry and pocorn garlands, pinecones with pb and bird seed, corn cobs etc....
Do you have outdoor space? I just hosted an outdoor harvest themed party with a bunch of kids and we did a bunch of traditional games and activities (all super cheap), the sort you would have seen at an old time small town fall fair. bobbing for apples pumpkin bowling 3 legged and potato sack races tug of war carmel candy apple making   hth Karen    
I think this is an excellent opportunity to teach your kids how to be kind and inclusive.  Our last house had a street like that my rule with my kids was that if you are playing out front, you need to find a way to include everyone who wants to play, or looks like they want to play.  Anything else in that situation is exclusionary and unkind, regardless of the pre-existing relationships. If other kids were excluding, my kids left the play because they understood the...
Ick  that's just wrong. I agree completely with your last statement. What you experienced was coersion, not giving.  
It didn't sound that way at all. And I totally get where you are coming from. Our new (bigger) house is much easier to keep tidy because there is a place for everything which makes daily chores easier (and my kids help). In theory, every weekday the bathrooms and cleaned, mudroom tidied, and floors vaccumed so it doesn't take long to make the main floor company ready (kids' bedrooms are a completely different story - lol). But before we moved, I would stash stuff baskets...
lol rofl - yay for honesty!