or Connect

Posts by Callimom

They drank 2 over the weekend. We get it fresh from the farm - no preservatives and it's "open" because they refill our jug. And yes it is going off, and I would like to do something with it. The kids won't drink it.  
Depends on how many kids can I order around We can actually do a pretty thorough clean in 10 minutes if everyone is working together. Priorities for me 1) bathroom - swish toilet and wipe down sink and other surfaces 2) clear kitchen island hot spots, dishes in the dishwasher and wipe down - we have white counter tops and they get grubby looking very fast 3) check mudroom, take out compost and recycling. That's probably my 10 minutes   With kids, one...
Congrats on a better night! One thing I would suggest is putting some more emphasis on being proactive versus reactive. In our family that means a few things 1) a quick check in about expectations and possible solutions to expected situations before we start something. My kids still get a quick reminder before we head into the library for example. We have a catch phrase (hands, feet, body and voices under control please) and we have been doing it long enough that...
I think that the distinction between punishment and discipline is a valuable in exactly these sorts of conversation where posters like TheHusband (I wonder if he calls his wife TheWife) need a clear line drawn about what sorts of approaches are viewed as respectful and beneficial by this community and which ones aren't. Sending a child to their room for hours and missing meals so the parent doesn't have to deal is punishment. Providing a bit of breathing room for...
It may be regional - our local foodbank is organized by a church and it is made very clear. The hospital volunteer groups here are a secular/non-religious group. I do think that churches are a good source of community volunteers which I think is partly demographic (age, income, ethnicity) and that there is often cross over between community and church volunteering. Churches have historically been the source for community organizing, and that structure remains. But I...
There is a difference between discipline which helps the child learn to do better and punishment which often serves the parents needs, versus the childrens.  
When I had toddlers (twins) I really had to shift from reactive to proactive parenting. It is absolutely exhausting - no doubt especially when you have one who is so adept at finding the limits. So if the kitchen is an issue, can you change the environment to help deal with the situation?  A play kitchen for him? A wall painted in chalkboard paint so he can create? A learning tower so he can help you and be somewhat safely contained, locks or different knobs on the...
I think you know it is the Red Cross because the organization is recognized world wide, has worked hard to develop connections across/apart from political and religious divides, and is able to do much of their work precisely because they are clear that there isn't a hidden agenda.  I don't know that it is any more or less publicized than say the Salvation Army.  My personal perception is that religious organizations do make a point to showcase their religious...