or Connect

Posts by Callimom

Cheap dairy and gluten free: all veggie soups (do you have an immersion blender for pureeing them into creamy soups?) - choose ones that are seasonal - so carrots, broc, potato, squash, etc. chili, (veg or with a bit of ground)  stews (again a bit of inexpensive meat can go a long way. ) veggie stir fry rice and beans lentils (try something like this) dal eggs: frittatas, omlets, breakfast for dinner stuffed peppers rice pilaf, burritos/fahitas in...
TheHusband - children don't need to be hit to be taught. Ever. They don't need to be threatened with being hit. I suggest reading the forum guidelines which I am pretty sure you are violating.   OP  your son needs you to show him the limits and boundaries that apply in your family. He's literally looking at you to learn if he is at the limit.  In our family, issues of safety get one warning and then my physical presence which may mean removing them from the...
Have you paid for it? If you have, and you want it, I would probably call her, gush about how lovely it is and say you want to use it for a gift/have it for a party - whatever and let her know you would come by to pick it up at a stated time and place. If you haven't paid for it, I would probably let it go. that is awkward Karen
Thanks Miranda - looks like I need to take a look at one before committing K
Thread crashing...really? I was hoping to use them but haven't had a chance to actually look through them.  Can you tell me why?  
You already have some good advice.   I agree with the line drying inside. We basically only use the dryer for sheets and towels in the winter (in the summer we line dry everything).  I have a couple of wood racks and a long pole which I keep up in my basement and we dry everything there in the winter but when I lived in a smaller house I put my laundry rack in the bathtub and dried things there. A couple of snap-snaps when they are dry and the stiffness is pretty...
Do you have yard space you can entertain in? Can you host just one family at a time at your place? Do you have community events that are free (festivals, outdoor concerts etc?) that you could  get together at? Do you connect with any of your neighbours? It is hard when there is an income disparity between friends - but you also shouldn't stay at home on a beautiful day if you don't want to- there are lots of things you could choose to do with your family. good luck! Karen
No need to feel shy! There are great resources here We like Our Family Tree by Lisa Peters for young kids and Life on Earth by Steve Jenkins (for slightly older kids) The Born with a Bang series mentioned above is excellent. I haven't seen Ellen Jackson book The Wonder's of Evolution, but her stuff is generally pretty good.   There are some videos, computer based games and teaching resources linked here   Check Youtube for Just So Darwin which is a BBC...
What about reading her the "classics" (however you want to define them) to her. Or doing a mother daughter book club? Or alternate with her picking one and then you picking one. You could pick a "better"  ie more substantial version of what she wants to read about so she can start to hear the difference in the depth of the story, the language etc.  Life is too short to read crappy books imo. If they want to read them that's one thing, but I want to enjoy what we...